Orange Whip - '78 620

demo243

Got some good seat time in last week!  Drove it to work 3 days with the unusually warm weather we had. Quite a bit of fun to drive as I have said before. Not to much to update on the truck since I really havent done anything.... Oh I did put a new shift knob on it, but forgot to take a picture... Pulled the 510 out yesterday and it crazy the difference in pedal feel hahahahah the 510 is a 15/16th with no booster, so its rock hard... the 620 is much softer with the booster.... 

Anyway here are some photos. There is a great graphiti wall behind the office parking lot so I couldnt resist taking some photos when I walked out.

20200311_182935

20200311_183357

20200311_173513

Love walking out the parking lot to see the truck... looks awesome hard parked... 

20200310_180657

• Like 4
  • Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Covid is throwing a wrench in alot of things... but one benefit of working from home is stealing away for a lunch ride. The bike just barely fits in the back... so tight I probably don't even need the tie-downs... but yay for bed hooks!

20200318_132109

20200318_171048

Also grabbed a shot of the new shift knob- delrin so it shouldn't get too hot, got something similar in the 510 that has been through a few cars and really like it- and current fire extinguisher mount. Cant be too safe in these old cars and trucks... also shows my super fancy stereo system hahaha

20200318_152926

Edited by demo243
  • Like 3

Well it turned out to be quite a nice day here in NE Mass.... had some house and yard work to do today but still managed to steal away for some time on the truck.

Gave it a much needed wash---

20200321_143509

Then hit it with a light buffing compound by hand---

20200321_150328

Then a quick hand wax with some turtle wax--- 

20200321_183241

Definitely brought some of the life back in the old Texas sunbaked paint... 

And since I am starting to go a bit stir crazy being cooped up at the house and it was nice in went for a drive---

20200321_183148

Definitely need to get this O2 sensor figured out... which unfortunately means I think I need to pull the header...  the truck is running well, but it's not as peppy as it could be--- reminds me on when I was running the 510 KA on a flat 10 degree map--- which would make sense since I think it goes into a safety mode with out the O2 sensor.

Came home and had a beer sitting on the bedside... couldn't help and snap a photo of all the stickers on the back window---

20200321_171222

• Like 1

Well today starts temporary unemployment... The office shut down today at  noon which means no paycheck for me... 

Grabbed a few parts earlier in the week expecting this to come... 

Anyway.... 

Its the little things that matter... The stock washer bottle doesn't fit with what I have done in the engine bay... and when I tested the pump it didn't work... so I went ahead and ordered a universal pump --- now I need to find a cool bottle to use as a washer fluid reservoir.  

20200324_182645

20200324_182640

And we have washer fluid! or... water... but it works!  Just need to tighten up the hoses a bit... there is a bit too much pressure hahaha and it leaks at the "T" fitting... hopeufully some zip ties will work

20200324_182636

• Like 2

Got to drive both dattos today!

Pulled the 510 out hibernation... check out that thread for that... and finally got to drive em both back to back. The 510 is definitely faster... as it should be... haven't really looked into the tire and ratio differences either...

The 620 is definitely a tamer and more relaxed animal and that's what I wanted! But still fun to drive.

Anyway... got some time to finish up my windshield washer set up. Picked up a coolant overflow tank from ebay... it's a bit of a mess with brackets... but based it off the same bracket I used for the catch can. Since I was adding all this weight I decided to add an additional brace back toward the fender. Pretty happy with how it turned out. Home fabbed for the win!! Now I just need some washer fluid... next time I get gas I guess...

20200327_183315

20200327_183322

Hoods up!!!!

20200327_215419

Edited by demo243

Sorry to hear about your work shutting down.  That's rough.

Bracket looks fine and should function awesome.

One simple thing I've found turns fabbed brackets like that into much more professional finished looking pieces is to round off the ends.  Trace a washer or a coin and grind it around that line.  It's amazing how much cleaner it can make that stuff look.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Lockleaf said:

Sorry to hear about your work shutting down.  That's rough.

Bracket looks fine and should function awesome.

One simple thing I've found turns fabbed brackets like that into much more professional finished looking pieces is to round off the ends.  Trace a washer or a coin and grind it around that line.  It's amazing how much cleaner it can make that stuff look.

Thanks. It sucks but we're in a good spot... I'll get unemployment for the short term... so oh well... rather be home and safe then working through this all this shit...

Functionality it should serve it's purpose... I agree though rounding the corners off makes a huge difference. Usually I would but I didn't feel like making a mess yesterday and I just threw this together.

Next up is re-index the torsion bars... although I dont think I can go much lower up front with out the tires rubbing really badly... 

Also need to pull the header to work on the o2 sensor... just need to get motivated

9 hours ago, hobospyder said:
You would be surprised how low you can get the front before she rubs too much. Ate a fender one time when I hit a bump in a hard corner but otherwise this one did just fine

What wheel and tire are you running?

I've got a 215/65r15 on there now... thinking I might have to drop to a 205 next... want to keep the tire height... I think

7 hours ago, EDM620 said:

Good progress on your 620! The dash boards on these have all turned to crap, your handmade one gives me some ideas for mine.

Thanks! Let me know if you have any questions. 

Put the old girl to work today.

Had a bunch of rocks to move for a yard project.. and it would have been a lot of trips with a wheelbarrow... so I put the 620 to use.

20200328_121754

20200328_193946

IMG_9219

Was riding pretty low... and rubbing bad... thinking I'm gonna have to bump to a 205 next time and probably roll the fenders...

20200328_115915

20200328_115900

20200328_124044

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, hobospyder said:

I'll check when I go out for a smoke later all I know is its toyo tires on 17x8 enkie etorias

Hmmm

Maybe they ll camber out enough as I drop it to clear... only one way to find out! I can always raise it back up.... just looking for another  .5-1" up front 

2 minutes ago, hobospyder said:

225 45 17

Toyo proxies. Wanna say its lowered about 5 inches in the rear, 3 inch blocks (maybe, cant remember) and 720 leafs. Just evened out the frame because I dont like the rake look

Good info I'll do some calculations 

Thanks!

Did a little more work on the truck today ---

Pulled the header and added an angled defouler for the o2 sensor in the lower mount. 

20200331_155211

Swapped to a 3 wire o2 sensor as well... unfortunately it did not solve my issue... the engine is definitely peppier with the o2 plugged in, but still has bogging issues when cruising around 2.5-3k rpms... like its suddenly backing out the timing.... its better then it was before... but still happening.... pull the o2 and run it without it, and its fine... does seem to idle about 100 rpm higher with the o2 plugged in... not sure what to try next...

---

Then I started another project I have been thinking about doing.... one that will probably come with mixed opinions.... I started working on deleting the brake booster. 

One of the the things I really like about the 510 is how mechanical it is, with the booster on the 620 the brakes have definitely been lacking... I know this is probably an issue beyond the booster--- likely a bit of air still stuck in the lines somewhere... --- but it hasn't been confidence inspiring and makes heal-toeing very hard. Even on my old tacoma the booster just allowed for more pedal travel then I needed, and made it tougher to heal toe. I am trying to keep everything in one piece so if I change my mind I can throw it all back together... but I might try and break apart the booster tomorrow to see if I can steal the push rod. I ordered a universal replacement from summit, but likely wont see that till Friday.

I started by pulling the booster out

Mmmm dried grease... and maybe some brake fluid

20200331_161536

Then I used some aluminum plate to cut out an adapter plate for the master to bolt to. I may bump it up to 1/4" later on, but well see how this one feels. 

20200331_170917

20200331_171302

Unfortunately I do not have a 1.5" hole saw... so ordered on from Ace Hardware down the road and will pick it up tomorrow to get the master mounted up. 

Edited by demo243
  • Like 1

Booster Deleted! 

20200401_152701

Initially mounted the master directly to the plate... then ended up tearing down the booster to steal the push rod--- booster was full of fluid and overall pretty gross... Push rod ended up being a bit long even after trimming it, so I stole the adapter plate to space it out a bit.... push rod was still too long.... so the rest will have to wait... universal rod coming from Summit tomorrow, so hopefully that works... probably wont get to install it till Saturday though... gonna be rainy and gross.

• Like 2

And we have brakes!

Could have finished it the other day... but i measured 0 times and cut once... trimmed the clevis down to short so it wasn't usable... oops...

Anyway new push rod showed up the other day. Of course nothing is easy though and the pin was a little bit bigger... so i had to pull the pedal to drill it out. Put it all back together and we have brakes again!

20200404_152701

Happy i deleted the booster--- gave me the pedal feel and feedback i was looking for. Still i slight double pump after its been sitting for a while... but bot bad... got a new 7/8 master hanging around if i want to swap the in. The aluminum adapter seems plenty strong... but there is some firewall flex... maybe ill figure out a brace at some point...

• Like 1

Then i decided to re-index the torsion bars to get a little more drop out of the front to match the rears...

This is after re-indexing, but before settling...

20200404_171212

For anyone re-indexing... there was no way i was getting a screw driver in there to pop the c clips... actually broke the tips off two of my smaller ones... bugger... ended up twisting the c clips so the opening was facing down and just tapped on the end with a screwdriver and mallett and popped em off, one required me to hold to screwdrivers in a cross pattern to brace one end and tap on the other... but worked perfectly and popped the clips right off.

While it was sitting on the blocks i checked the bump stops... and sure enough it was sitting on them... 

20200404_171141

So i put the front back up on jack stands and pulled the wheels to trim the bumps 

Here is a shot after trimming and settling 

20200404_182149

And how it sits now !

20200404_193428

20200404_182031

20200404_193534

Really happy with where its sitting!

But alas... nothing is simple... front driver rubs bad!!! Hint at a right turn or tap the brakes and its rubbing... actually took some paint off the fenders.... will try and roll/pull em a touch tomorrow... but ultimately will need a narrower tire... 

Which brings up the next question...

The tires on there now are 215/65r15s... so do i drop to a 205 or all the way to a 195... found a good deal on some Falken Ziex 950s in a 205 for $55 each... or i can get some dunlop sp5000s in a 195 for $66 each... not bad either way... my only fears are --- a 205 wont be narrow enough to clear up front... and a 195 ends up being an inch shorter overall diameter which adds a 1/2 gap between fender and tire... which i cant make up with out a lot of work.... leaning towarda 205s and hoping for the best.... 

These 215s are cracked so need to be replaced either way...

Thoughts?

Edited by demo243
  • Like 1

Rolled/pulled the fenders a touch more. Lost a little more paint... but oh well...

Just barely rubs on the driver side now, so with 205s i think ill be good.

20200405_132125

20200405_132117

Even with heat or a proper roller... there is no way the paint wouldn't have flaked right off...

Minor updates....

My driver door lock had been sticking and making it impossible to unlock with the key... pulled it apart to see what was going on... turns out just needed some lube... works perfectly now. Unfortunately im the process of tearing the door apart the little clip for the window crank went flying.... i heard it bounce but never land... took a quick look.... but wrote it off... 

Quick fix was to drill and tap it... gets the job done.

20200407_160210

Then in my boredom i started looking around got something to make a cup holder out of... had some metal... but that was gonna be a lot of work... scanning my bench i spotted a pair of wheel spacers that i pulled out yesterday while test fitting some wheels on then 510. Brought one out to the truck and thought it wasn't half bad... basically just for a tall Starbucks cup on the way to a show or drive to work... the inner diameter was a bit big for a beer can so i sliced some spare fuel hose to line it and tighten it up. Ratsun FTW!

20200407_160223

20200407_160217

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Crashtd420 said:

I like the cup holder... currently using a cone shaped k&n air filter upside down for mine, between the seats... 

I do something similar in the 510... just shove it between the seat and the e-brake, but the bench seat in the 620 doesnt allow for that... 

Shamelessly stole the idea from the lonely driver company 

https://lonelydrivercompany.bigcartel.com/product/ldc-x-ms-datsun-510-cup-holders

Was planning on making one similar... but i just dont have the right peice of aluminum lying around right now... 

I might need this wheel spacer back soon for the 510... we'll see... ill probably make one for the 510 at some point... or ill be lazy and just buy a couple... his price is reasonable and the finish looks good.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally got a nice warm day with nothing else to do....so a little more brake work. New rotors and pads up front.

49847446173_577cb468a9_b.jpg

49848283297_66e6b2a4b8_b.jpg

The old ones were probably fine... plenty of life left in the pads... but nice to have fresh brakes, pads, rotors, shoes, drums...

next up is tires. Leaning toward some Nankang SP-9s in either a 195 or 205/65r15... about $55 each.

other then that just driving it as much as I can. Super fun to drive.

• Like 1