Sign in to follow this  
NastyRay

First L20B build need advice??

I bought my first datsun 510 coupe a few days ago with the idea in mind of a turbo charged motor like a ca18det.. The motor that came in it was a l20b and i am not ready to put that adide just yet when their is still hope of daisy datsun spooling up her turbo. I know everyone here has great ideas so lets hear them.. Here is what i am working with aroynd 1200$ and as far as my skills go i can fabricate almost anything and i can turn a wrench so please detailed ideas. My fellow datsu. Owners please help me build daisy the way she deserves

A sedan you mean? Two door left hand drive? $1,200 would barely rebuild an L20B to stock. You won't get an import CA18DET with transmission and ECU for that. If free you would spend more than $1,200 on the car getting it ready. This is a worthwhile project so enjoy the car and the L20B in it while you keep saving.

In today's world of cheap bolt on horsepower, you are almost always dealing with a great engine to begin with. Add twin turbos to a 4.8L GM LS V8 and make 700 hp, without even removing the oil pan and a rod cap to inspect the bearings. Yep, no problem.

While the L20B is a great engine, it isn't going to respond well to cheap power adders, at least not without a solid rebuild with some modifications. As Mike said, you can't even begin to make those mods with $1200. If your intention is to go big or go home, you could put your money to use with one of those $600 Chinese turbo kits and an intercooler. If you're good at fab work, you could have a pull through system plumbed up in a few days. This setup is almost guaranteed to blow up a stock L20B, but hey, have fun with it.

Of course I wouldn't actually do any of that, but I didn't want to crap in your wheaties on your first post.

Cheapest import CA18DET was $1,500 but includes trans and wiring. You'll need a custom rad, engine and trans mounts, exhaust system, convert to internal regulated alternator, shorten the driveshaft, modify gas tank for EFI pump. Now you have a rocket ship that can't get stopped. Needs a big brake up-grade and suspension mods to avoid what you can't get stopped for. Include some big tires. X4 is right!!!!!

Seems like the 510s that get the highest auction sales prices all have L motors in them. I have always thought that a well built L motor looks way better in a 510 engine bay than any KA or SR.

If you've got $1200 to spend, and the motor is in relatively good shape, spend it on the head. Save some more money and buy a set of dual carbs. Build a nice exhaust system with a good header. Get your distributor re-curved and build a heat shield for the intake. You'll be into this setup about $3000-$4000 and have a 510 built in the classic style.

Worry about the suspension and brakes later.

Or...

Spend that money on the suspension and brakes first and have a car that you can flog to death, running headlong into any corner, without killing yourself.

• Like 2