Bad coil? Matchbox?

domn8tr

Recently my 521 has been dying when I come to a stoplight. Usually it starts right up but today it seemed like it almost fired but then wouldnt start. I pulled the fuel line but it had gas. Then I checked for spark and nothing. I towed it home and it started right up. It has a Matchbox dizzy and the bigger coil to go with it. I suspect the coil but I'm not sure. I also just replaced my alternator and found a burnt regulator. I replaced the burnt TL1Z-57G 12v 408 one with a 510 regulator i had laying around. its marking is 30-503 im assuming thats not a problem as theyre both 72 datsun.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had this type of thing happening when I didn't have the plastic "T" plug for my wires going to the matchbox distributor, with the engine moving around in the engine compartment, especially when I left off the pedal, the wire on the top of the "T" got bent and started touching the other wire and the engine would die, sometimes when I pushed in the clutch it would come back to life.

Do you have the proper "T" plug for the distributor wires going from the coil to the distributor?

Is it a Nissan coil or some after market thing???

Next time take a thermos of ice water with you and when it quits, pour the cold water over the body of the coil to cool it down. If it starts after a few minutes the coil has some thermal problem. If still no go, cool down the matchbox module with the ice water.