521 brakes "clunk" and stick

domn8tr

When hitting my brakes they work but sometimes go "clunk" and then work better. It sounds like its coming from the left but theres no pull when it happens. Also they dont always retract right away. Intuition tells me its the master check valve as I changed the shoes and springs. Slaves werent leaking and I greased the adjuster shims. Should I replace the master? 

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Front? Check the tension rod bushings. The tension rod forms the third side of a triangle with the frame and the lower control arm being the other two. Without it, when the brakes are applied (or hitting a curb) the wheel wants to stop while the truck keeps moving forward.

Thanks Mike! The upper outer rubber bushing on the control arm is shot so thats probably the clunk but why would that make the brakes grab more. and not releasing I figured was a check ball issue but just saw a post about adjusting for freeplay on the M/C pushrod. P.S. check my post in electrical on dizzy and matchbox Thanks

Sounds exactly like the adjuster is  not sliding properly on the backing plate or one of the shoes. It's usual to lift and spin the wheel while adjusting the shoes. If the adjuster is sticking only one shoe is actually rubbing and appears to be right. When you step on the brake the adjuster snaps loose and centers itself.