Swapping 4wd rear diff into 2wd

TimmyG

I have an 84 2wd (11/83) and would like to know if I can swap in the rear differential center from a 4wd. It's my understanding that the 4wd have 4.11 gears and LSD.

Will this bolt into the 2wd axle housing and match the length of the driveshaft? 

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There was no LSD option on any 720.

Early 4x4s were 4.375 ratio with an H-190 differential case and after 10 '82 they were 4.11 in a C-200 differential. All 2wd, all years were H-190 case. The C-200 will never fit the H-190 case. Look for an '81-'82 Z22 2wd automatic. They were H-190 and 4.11

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Early 4x4s were 4.375 ratio with an H-190 differential case and after 10 '82 they were 4.11 in a C-200 differential. All 2wd, all years were H-190 case. The C-200 will never fit the H-190 case. Look for an '81-'82 Z22 2wd automatic. They were H-190 and 4.11

Very useful info. It seems the internet had steered me in the wrong direction once again. That's why I love this forum.

Forgot to ask, would the C-200 complete axle housing with center section be a bolt in swap into the 84 2wd? I'm thinking the driveshaft length might not match up at the very least?

I also tried to use an earlier H-190 4x4 differential in a 2wd and around '82??? the yoke and driveshaft size changed. I tried to swap the smaller yoke on and they changed the spline size as well. So that didn't work. Two wheel drive to 2wd should be ok.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

I also tried to use an earlier H-190 4x4 differential in a 2wd and around '82??? the yoke and driveshaft size changed. I tried to swap the smaller yoke on and they changed the spline size as well. So that didn't work. Two wheel drive to 2wd should be ok.

Was hoping you might know the answer to the question of will the entire C200 axle bolt into an 84 2wd truck? 

Y e s s s..... but the leaf spring perches on the 4x4 axle are on top of the axle. Placing a 4x4 axle under a 2wd will lift it 4-6inches in the back..... and I don't know about the drive shaft bolting up at all. Sorry.

• Like 1

It will bolt onto the leafs but you will need to cut the mounts off the axle and put them on the bottom, but your 2wd pinion flange on the drive line will not bolt to the large 4wd C200 pinion flange, and 4.11 gears are the best freeway gears the C200 has.

Seems like the the C200 has the capability of using the smaller pattern pinion flange as I have a few Nissan C200 dually axles around here and they all have the small pattern, but maybe that is only on the dually axles.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, wayno said:

It will bolt onto the leafs but you will need to cut the mounts off the axle and put them on the bottom, but your 2wd pinion flange on the drive line will not bolt to the large 4wd C200 pinion flange, and 4.11 gears are the best freeway gears the C200 has.

Seems like the the C200 has the capability of using the smaller pattern pinion flange as I have a few Nissan C200 dually axles around here and they all have the small pattern, but maybe that is only on the dually axles.

Wait. Those Nissan duallys were legit things. I thought it was some custom thing

4 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Only the automatics had the 4.11? Any idea what rear gears the manual had for 81-82 Z22 2wd? 

Yes, Nissan made real dually axles from around 1985 thru 1987, maybe longer but all the ones I have were 85 and 86.

I like them because they use 14 inch wheels so the flatbed I have is low and not that hard to shovel debris into, the higher you have to lift debris the harder it is to get it in there, wet moss is heavy, everything is heavy when it is wet.

As I recall the 1979 Datsun 620 had a 4.11 geared rear axle, but 620s are getting hard to find, so are Datsun 720s, 8 years ago they were in every wrecking yard, sometimes 6 or more 720s, now we are lucky to find one 720 in the whole area, and 520/521/620 trucks are few and far between.

Forget the LSD thing, I have been going to wrecking yards for years looking for them, I found one in a 1993 D21 Hardbody with an H190 that had 3.5 gears and I was extremely lucky to have found that one, they are rare, Toyota has way more stuff like that.

1 hour ago, Berta720 said:

Wait. Those Nissan duallys were legit things. I thought it was some custom thing

Edited by wayno
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, wayno said:

Yes, Nissan made real dually axles from around 1985 thru 1987, maybe longer but all the ones I have were 85 and 86.

I like them because they use 14 inch wheels so the flatbed I have is low and not that hard to shovel debris into, the higher you have to lift debris the harder it is to get it in there, wet moss is heavy, everything is heavy when it is wet.

As I recall the 1979 Datsun 620 had a 4.11 geared rear axle, but 620s are getting hard to find, so are Datsun 720s, 8 years ago they were in every wrecking yard, sometimes 6 or more 720s, now we are lucky to find one 720 in the whole area, and 520/521/620 trucks are few and far between.

Forget the LSD thing, I have been going to wrecking yards for years looking for them, I found one in a 1993 D21 Hardbody with an H190 that had 3.5 gears and I was extremely lucky to have found that one, they are rare, Toyota has way more stuff like that.

Yeah I've started to realize the 720s are dying. I needed to save one (or a homogenization of a couple) before it's too late! 

I always thought the 620 rear axle was narrower. Also, can you identify the H190 somehow? If I were under a hardbody at the junkyard, how could I tell it was that housing?

• Like 1

The H-190 is a 'third member' type construction. The axles can be disconnected and pulled to the side to disconnect the splines and the unit unbolted and removed to the front with the ring and pinion gears self contained. This can simply be put into another H-190 axle to change the gear ratio.

H-190 bolts in from the front and is removable

4422.jpg

C-200 Salisbury design. Rear bolted on cover plate.

2143.jpg

7 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

The H-190 is a 'third member' type construction. The axles can be disconnected and pulled to the side to disconnect the splines and the unit unbolted and removed to the front with the ring and pinion gears self contained. This can simply be put into another H-190 axle to change the gear ratio.

H-190 bolts in from the front and is removable

4422.jpg

C-200 Salisbury design. Rear bolted on cover plate.

2143.jpg

Well now I feel dumb. Lol. I completely missed this difference having never seen the 4wd unit. Thx

• Like 1
15 hours ago, TimmyG said:

Yeah I've started to realize the 720s are dying. I needed to save one (or a homogenization of a couple) before it's too late! 

My one classmate who works in a junkyard has one I think and they said it's going to the crusher right away

• Sad 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2019 at 3:28 AM, TimmyG said:

Very useful info. It seems the internet had steered me in the wrong direction once again. That's why I love this forum.

The internet isn't completely wrong in this case it's just that for the US an lsd was probably never an option. We got them over here in Europe, maybe not all of europe but at least for Norway it seems most diesel 4x4 720's had a rear clsd in a c200 axle. They also have very low gearing of 4,88 or something like that. 

Sadly this doesn't help you guys though(and it's difficult to find one even here)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Spiff said:

The internet isn't completely wrong in this case it's just that for the US an lsd was probably never an option. We got them over here in Europe, maybe not all of europe but at least for Norway it seems most diesel 4x4 720's had a rear clsd in a c200 axle. They also have very low gearing of 4,88 or something like that. 

Sadly this doesn't help you guys though(and it's difficult to find one even here)

Damn that's cool, tho! Thanks for chiming in. I determined my 84 4wd has an open diff and 4.11s. 

• Like 1