Opinons on Cummins swap...

Doppelgänger

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see.......Cummins (turbo of course) is twice as tall as the stock motor, twice as long as the stock motor, about 8 times heavier than the stock motor, and we won't even discuss the sideways torque.

Just off the top of my head, I would say....no.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I put a 24v Cummins in a 1954 GMC a few years ago, and the valve cover could have been used as an arm rest. The motors are very long. I would be all for it if I thought you would ever finish the project, but most of these "crazy idea" projects never get finished.

Yes, it would probably be too heavy.

• Like 1

yes the 4bt is tall, because it was used in swathers and skidsteers and stuff. If you were to put any cummins in a datsun the only one to even consider would be the r2.8 which is easier to get anyhow since it is a fully ready to go crate motor, but I am unsure of the dimensions

• Like 2

I've been dying to do an R2.8 swap. I know a few guys who have used them and they are totally different animals from that piece of shit they call the 4BT. But yes, they are large. On the other hand, since Cummins made a point to offer them as a crate engine, there is a growing aftermarket for them.

• Like 3

If you want to go that route might as well buy an old Dodge 4x4 with the 12 valve Cummings and drop the 720 body on top. Be much cheaper but will still have to extend the 720 body about two feet on the front to make room for motor and radiator. Height won't matter, just lift body until there is room.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, weldingrod said:

Boils down to two things, not enough room and the suspension/running gear can't handle the power/torque.

This is pretty much a thought experiment. Like a 426 hemi in a Radioflyer.

• Like 2
50 minutes ago, hosestop@msn.com said:

I just got three weeks ago A 1992 Dodge w250 xcab 4x4  Cummins 12 valve  diesel manual 5spd  167k Dana 60 and 70 lsd  Best truck ever maybe !, will post after new front leaf and minor front end rebuild , goodbye Toyota  it gets about same  18mpg in town .

Now I AM irritated. Sold my 1993 50 xcab 4x4 with same driveline.  The '93 had the one ton running gear.You are getting about what the new trucks are getting but no matter how often I checked, was getting around 27 mpg town and highway with a camper on. Maybe different gears in the one ton? That was better milage than my '84 720 Nissan. In all fairness, I do know the 720 needs a carb rebuild.

• Like 1

Can't beat the sound of a 2 stroke detroit. I just scratched the whole idea, the idea was find a 4 door 720, make it 4x4, turbo diesel, and able to run on waste motor oil. For several reasons, I have scratched that idea. too expensive, can't find a turbo diesel thats both light and has decent power with a mechanical injection pump. And I also already have the Cummins, that is 4x4, I'm just gonna soup it up for long Datsun retrieval and/or hunting trips out west. I already have a long bed 720 project, and a KC 620 race truck project. Not to mention I wanna restore a stockish 620 KC for my old man. He's 80 this year and isn't too crazy about aftermarket stuff lol.

On 8/8/2019 at 7:05 PM, weldingrod said:

Now I AM irritated. Sold my 1993 50 xcab 4x4 with same driveline.  The '93 had the one ton running gear.You are getting about what the new trucks are getting but no matter how often I checked, was getting around 27 mpg town and highway with a camper on. Maybe different gears in the one ton? That was better milage than my '84 720 Nissan. In all fairness, I do know the 720 needs a carb rebuild.

I think your math is a little off on those fuel mileage numbers.