Recent Cruise in Chicago in my B210

jboulukos

So I live in Florida and keep my B210 in Chicago.  I was recently there and took it out for a spin after insuring it for super cheap with Hagerty I believe.  These cars are definitely becoming extremely rare because I literally could not go anywhere without multiple people striking up conversations at the gas station or honking me down on the freeway.  I don’t know if it’s the size of the car (obviously narrow and shorter in length), or the rarity of these in the Midwest, or the unique blue color that attracts attention, but people were ultra stoked about it, totally bonkers. 

I’ve had the car since 2009 and I am used to the occasional honk and smile, but this was different.  I went as far as parking it in the city, grabbing a coffee, leaning up against a nearby light pole and discreetly filming each passer by circling it and discussing it with their friend.  “That’s a Dodge Dart”...or “those bumpers indicate it’s from the seventies...” it was epic. I could care less if anyone honks or talks about it. It’s an amazing car and I’m happy to have it while it lasts. I reached 75 mph on the Dan Ryan freeway which is like 130 mph in 70s Japanese go-kart speed. It feels almost dangerous but also feels completely capable and exhilarating.  I never thought that I would bring smiles to peoples faces when I first purchased the car as my daily driver back in Kent, WA in 2009. If people only knew the joy it has brought to me. It’s an absolute pleasure to drive it since my hands have played a large role in preserving it. Recent upgrades this trip include a new clear fuel filter and rear driver side black bumper corner upgrade.  The car is not perfect by a long shot but needs nothing at the moment. Though taking care of it is always in the back of my mind and that is the essence of ownership of one of these in a nutshell. Keep Rock alive. Datsuns are forever. 

• Like 3
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s funny you say you got yours in Kent, Wa.  The 77 B210 I just got was from an old lady who bought it new and garaged it ever since.  Kent must have been a good place to get a Datsun lol.

On 8/7/2019 at 1:33 PM, Macdrone said:

It’s funny you say you got yours in Kent, Wa.  The 77 B210 I just got was from an old lady who bought it new and garaged it ever since.  Kent must have been a good place to get a Datsun lol.

Nice man!  Mine had the original Tacoma Datsun/Volvo dealer plate surrounds on it too.  Glad to hear you scored a solid B-210!