620 - Lug Conversion

WillM620

Hey guys, 

Thanks for everyone who is contributing to these posts.  I can't say thank you enough and I appreciate you guys taking the time to respond/post.

I am wanting to convert my 620 from the 6 bolt pattern to a 5x4.5 pattern, disc brake.  

Just wanted to see if anyone had a kit or knows or one or possibly sells one?

Thanks guys!

-Will

• Like 1
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Why 5 x 4.5 ?

Most guys say it's due to lack of wheel selection. Not saying that is the case here. 
The justification is usually all the wheels available in that pattern, never mind most are not the correct offset.

I don't get it, there are some sick 6-lug wheels out there. You just have to look a bit harder. 

To answer the OPs question, if you want to do this correctly.

Pull the hubs and axle shafts, take them to a machine shop and have them re-drilled for the pattern you want.
Also make sure they machine to fit the bore of the wheels on the hubs and face the axle shafts to sit below the drum face on the rear. 

Or you can try your luck with these....

https://www.airbagit.com/Billet-Wheel-Adapters-Adaptors-Spacers-p/aa-6550-5450-652ol.htm

• Like 2

There are 5 on 4.5 axles with 29 spline ends for the H190 in Japan off the older Gloria & Cedric cars, but finding front hubs for a 620 spindle would take a lot of searching.

Are they the correct length to fit the trucks axle housing ?

No idea, and it would take $$ to check it out, as they are heavy, which is expensive to bring in from Japan, just to try.

Re-drilling wheels would be doubtful due to the inch larger bolt pattern of the truck.

Re-drilling, and re-machining the hubs is a possibility (maybe).

If you have experience in design, and drafting, sit down, start measuring, and drawing everything up.

Just looked at a spare spindle/hub assembly I have in the shop, and it is doubtful, as the center bore of most 5-lug wheels is so small, that you may not have enough material to turn the front hubs down far enough without either breaking through, or severely weakening the hub.

And it isn't something that you can just drop off at a machine shop, and say make these fit, as they want $$ to just try to figure it out, and may end up saying "No".

Bottom line, like 2J says, is finding some 6-lug wheels you like, they are out there, and in Japan.

Or run adaptors, if you trust them.

Since the 620 likes a zero offset (at least in an 8" width), if you run an adaptor that is 1" thick 6 to 5 lug adaptor, you would need a 25 offset wheel.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info guys!  Again, appreciate you guys taking the time to help out.  

I have found some solid 6 lug options when it comes to wheel selection, but the original reason that I wanted to convert to a different lug pattern was wheel selection, so you guessed it correct.  

I'm just taking notes now ha.

• Like 1

Im pretty much out of the 620 game but I was seriously contemplating a toyota axle that would have resulted in a 5x4.5 swap. Main reason for wanting to do this was aftermarket support and available limited slip/locker options. If you dont mind keeping the 6 lug, Im pretty sure that the narrow yota minitruck 4x4 axle (pre 83) is pretty close width wise.

I saw an old 620 show truck with cragar SS wheels and GM G body (80s regal/monte) hubs and disks . Apparently its not too hard, different bearings and a flat adapter for the disk caliper IIRC. I think there was an old write up on here for parts needed but it was buried in a build thread. It would be a different bolt pattern than the yota stuff though.

I always thought early 14" torque thrust or E/T wheels with fat white letter tires would look awesome on a fontana style 620...

I figured with some luck from the wrecking yard gods I could have LSD and disks for way the hell less than an H190 LSD and the beebani set up.

• Like 2

I figured it was for wheel selection.

Wheel adapters will work, if you take the added width into account.

Best to have everything machined custom.

2wd Toyota pickups have a 5 x 4.5 lug pattern , and I bet a 79-83 2wd Toyota rear axle is about the same width as the 620 axle.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I had mine machined to 5x130 (Porsche pattern). As mentioned, that's not an inexpensive exercise. That cost alone could have bought some decent 6-lug wheels. 

But then...I changed my strategy. I wanted disc brakes in the front instead of drums (that of which the hubs I had were for drums). Off to the machine shop again with a set of Hardbody hubs. 

Though the exercise was pricey, I got the Porsche alloys on there as I wanted. 🙂

Let's not talk about what it takes to find a clean set of four 16x6 Porsche alloys and then having them polished. 

• Like 1