Any master mechanics?

Hi everyone. 

I’ve  got a 1974 620 pickup and am suffering from an alternator/ regulator dead battery nightmare. I’ve gone through these forums and fell like I’ve tried everything. Was wondering if anyone has a number I could call and discuss my issues and attempts. I don’t get on the internet all that often is why. Talking things over would be best for me. If not I’ll try my best to write my story here. Please and thank you. 

Dan from Idaho

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, my alternator which I’ve had in went out. Bearing wear or something. Got a reman Wilson alt and new regulator from O’reily. Go to put em in and i only read about 12.3 v with a multi meter. Everything about this truck is original. Like I said it’s a 74 620 California model so it’s got the egr and what not. Never been messed with as far as wiring goes. Fuses aren’t popping lately. A while back I had one continuously popping from a lose taillight wire grounding on the frame. I feel like I’ve gone through every square inch of wiring in this thing. Just finished pulling the dash and checking all those wires. Everything looks good. Any suggestions?

13 minutes ago, Draker said:

Also, just because it's remanufactured doesn't mean it's good. Don't be afraid to take it back to the part store to be tested. That will help you know if it's you... or the part.

Truer words were never spoken. O'reily? They are the WallMart of auto parts stores aren't they? The fram of oil filters. The Cimarron of Cadillacs.

Why change the regulator if the bearing was bad in the alternator???? Now you have two things added to the equation. Double the chance that you have put a bad part in. Take the 'new' volt regulator out and put your old one in. If still not charging and it was before, the 'new' alternator must be at fault.

Black is ground on the case.

White/Red stripe is the power out from the alternator.

The other two wires have been swapped by the look of it. Should be Yellow to the F and White/Black to the N terminals

When you turn the ignition to ON does the charge light in the dash light up????

• Like 1

F wire is the key here I think. The issue is the alternator is not turning on. I'm with mike, install the old regulator if it's still good. Just use it to test. 

You'll need voltage on the field wire to tell the alternator how much voltage to put out. 

3 minutes ago, Eddie Cantina said:

Also, can I use dielectric grease on all my harnesses or will that’s cause problems?

Sure, go for it. I do on certain ones. Later nissan harness are complete shit and corrode really bad, so I tend to use it on the older stuff as well.