Jump to content

Grease for moving electrical switches and contacts


Recommended Posts

I’m rebuilding a combination switch, swapping parts from a newer one into mine, since I couldn’t find a good used one that is compatible to my truck, but a lot of the components in the newer incompatible version swap right over.


I want to re-grease the moving plastic parts, and some of the moving parts have electrical contacts as well. I’ve always wondered what grease is the correct grease to use when you need to “conduct” electricity and lube plastic mechanical parts. 


I was reading that I should not use silicon based grease for electrical contacts and I should use a higher temp higher viscosity grease. 


I imderstsnd dielectric grease is actually an electrical insulator, so I don’t want to use that. 


Any ideas?

  • Like 1
Link to post
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably dielectric grease. I think Permatex sells it in a tube. I rub it on my nipples (and plug leads). Its a very good insulator to keep spark in and water out. It does not prevent contact in switches or plug connections but it does seal out air and moisture that can cause corrosion.

  • Like 2
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.