New to me 1977 Datsun B210 2 door coupe and questions

Macdrone

Ok got a garaged survivor, has issues as it was used, but a one owner car.

so fuel smell inside, probably from gas tank fumes and emissions routing.  I’m air out the back seat and car, cleaned everything around the tank and tightened all the hoses but found no obvious signs of smell at that point.  Have to put front brake pads on before I drive it more but smell is dying down.  Anyone else have fuel smell issues?

speedometer reads about 20-25 mph slow.  No gear or transmission swap the original lady tells me.  Anyway to lubricate the gage or clean?

gonna need to remove the dash for the gauges at some point so that will be interesting.

and lastly the clip that holds the cables for vent diffuser cables is missing (holds 2 cables on top).  Anyone know where to get or have one ?  The one for the cold/hot vent on bottom is a single metal clip, but I need a double.

thank you 8n advance for any help

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome, gas smell and Datsuns go hand in hand lol... 

Hard to say, but a cracked rubber fuel line is not always obvious at a glance. 
Carb could have leaky seals if it sat for a long time. 

Should be able to lube the speedo gears but I am not familiar with the B210.

Post a wanted ad in the classifieds. Maybe someone will have one. 

Ebay might have it but doubtful. 

Then there is the old ratsun standby, make a new one from some scrap. :)

The smell itself doesnt bother me exactly, except i figure venting in the car a little dangerous.  I may just use plastic for window seal stuff to seal the trunk from the car and I am sure that would be fine.

Im gonna get the dash out soon to get to the speedo so we shall see, just have not seen anyone have the same issue, seems like always a gear issue on the transmission, which I am sure I do not have lol.

Ill try the adds,  again weird I seem to be the only one with the issue lol.  No write ups online at all.  Nobody must use the fans anymore haha.

I have a 1978 B210 2 door sedan and the gas tank is basically behind the rear seat in the trunk.  So I definitely have a nice old school gasoline smell if it’s been a while between drives.  I don’t mind it though and I’m not certain it’s evidence of anything going wrong. 

Well, seems with tightening the screws at the cap, airing out the back seats, and running some non ethanol gas in it, smell is all but gone, apparently according to the owners manual supposed to use 91 octane or better......

who knew lol

the one one I had 30 years ago didn’t even have a manual.

so I’ll attack the defroster cable deals on my next day off, tie rods and front alignment incoming, then I’ll set my focus on the speedo.

• Like 1

Yes that and so far in just a half a tank of super it idles so much better.  Has a frsh tune up and such,  Could use a new vacuum pod on the dizzy but all in all a really nice survivor.

• Like 1
  • 4 years later...

I have a 1977 Datsun b210. I have had a dachshund beat you 10 of some type since 1990. At 53 I think it's time to pass it along to another enthusiast. It runs and drives and stops needs a little break work and the gas is dead cooling systems okay but the heater valve drips. With a little work it can be a daily driver again. I live near the Grand canyon in Arizona.