]2eDeYe

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

After watching ALL of it, I couldnt help but wonder:  why not just put the body on the donor-trucks lowered, shortened C1500 chassis -OR- do a Crown Vic chassis swap?  In the end, it still wouldve been a Wide Body, but saved a LOT of work. 

But I guess that's why they have skills and a YouTube channel and I dont. 😂

Edited by slepe67
typos
  • Like 2

I would give my neighbor's left nut if this truck ends up looking anything close to the digital image they started with.

These guys are hacks, and they still are able to produce some decent quality work, but I would be surprised if this truck lives more than a few years.

Prove me wrong. I'd love to see it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, anything to do with steering is not something I take lightly. Can you imagine if the steering wheel adapter broke while you were on the freeway?

Do you guys remember that sectioned crew cab 521 with the V8 a couple years ago? That guy made some errors in judgement that were safety concerns. When we called him out he sort of bragged about hacking on purpose.

That's what gets me about these types of builders - they're proud of the bad decisions they make. I should look at it as a form of population control.

• Like 3

Much of what they've done would never be allowed on the road here in New Zealand. Our vehicles require a six monthly inspection. (Yearly for cars from after 2000) and if the inspector see modifications beyond a certain threshold, then it wont pass its inspection without first having been certified by a low volume vehicle certifyer. These guys work to a technical manual (which you can buy) which expressly forbids their steering hub adapter, and their steering shaft. (These are not allowed to be welded, unless ts an OEM part) 

One of my buddies is a low volume certifyer. And he tells me lots of horror stories about cars he sees that have been imported "built up" from the USA. Featuring lots of "modifications that aren't done to the standards required to be legal  (often costing thousands of dollars to rectify, or being beyond economic viability to put right)

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Valvebounce said:

(These are not allowed to be welded, unless ts an OEM part)

There are only a few spots inside a vehicles mechanical systems that really make me nervous when modifying them. Certain steering parts are on that list. If there is no back up, meaning, if the part fails, you lose 100% control over that system, I try hard to come up with other options. Yes, I have built my own steering shafts and even my own steering wheel adapters, but lots of care goes into the design and execution.

• Like 1
On 4/3/2020 at 10:54 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Yeah, anything to do with steering is not something I take lightly. Can you imagine if the steering wheel adapter broke while you were on the freeway?

Do you guys remember that sectioned crew cab 521 with the V8 a couple years ago? That guy made some errors in judgement that were safety concerns. When we called him out he sort of bragged about hacking on purpose.

That's what gets me about these types of builders - they're proud of the bad decisions they make. I should look at it as a form of population control.

Except that they might survive and the innocent other guy may not. Hey, I support the right of any person to intentionally or unintentionally kill or harm themselves, but to take someone else with you is thoughtless and uncaring. This is why I expressed my views about the single master cylinder, and shaving marker lights or modifying anything intended as a safety device. Sure you can choose to not wear a seat belt but that doesn't help the passenger you flew into at 50 MPH in a sideways crash and roll over. Removing the brake booster??? WTF are you even thinking??? That this will stop better??? Always, always always.... think of the worst case scenario. Sure you can see the car but what about at night in the rain? Sure you can get the car stopped when conditions are ideal but what about the unexpected where you don't have the space to stop? Sure you can 'drive' a welded differential no problem.... that is till there is a problem and the slide is not recoverable. The safety systems are there for the unexpected and because you never have never had need of them doesn't mean you never will. Always think worst case.

• Like 2

I feel that a properly sized master would negate the need for a booster. Not just a simple booster delete, but some trial and error, or math may also be involved.

Agreed on the killing of innocents. I explained that to my daughter once while we were driving and I got mad at a stupid driver. She asked why I was mad and I explained that his actions could kill us. So yes, agreed.

• Like 2

If I even ran a welded steering shaft (which I wouldnt) I'd turn one half down, and bore the other half to spigot then together. Then pin it with a hefty roll pin. That way if the weld ever got fatigued and cracked, there would be a physical link tying the two halves together. It would also ensure the two halves were joined concentricly. (Aside from any welded related distortion)

• Like 2

Any welding to the steering components or braking systems is I believe illegal but don't quote me, certainly unsafe and wouldn't pass inspection to get licensed for road use.

I often hear people suggest I put an LS into my 620, but I say no thanks to bastardizing with a BowTie even though cheap & plenty of power.

• Like 2

I guess these guys will hack anything.  I am sure they have never bent sheet metal around a pipe column. 

This would have been a better build it they would have just used th firewall, floor, chassis and drive train from the chevy truck and then made the Datsun 620 cab & bed fit.

At this point I hope this never hits the streets or tracks.

• Like 1

I'd love to see it in use, but not with the finish quality predicted.

One of the reasons my business took off is because I was good at fixing other people's junk. A standard philosophy here in my shop is that a vehicle should be built well enough to last at least long enough so you don't start to hate driving it and it ends up in the side yard up on blocks. (I'm sure there's a more eloquent way to say all that...) All vehicles built here have a goal of 10 years before major service is required.

• Like 2