Jump to content

Repairing the Fuel Pump Control Unit (Relay)


spddm0n

Recommended Posts

I thought I should probably start a new thread on this topic, rather than piggyback off another related thread.

 

I'd like to repair the fuel pump replay (fuel pump control unit).  I know there is a magazine article that talks about soldering a couple of the leads, where the solder begins to crack over time.  I had a different failure.  I burned out of the fuses on the board, and a second one looks like it's been overheated too.  Has anyone ever taken there's apart to make this repair and have any pictures of it?  Or, have one laying around that could tell me what the correct color bands (size) of the resistors on the board are?  

 

I would like to replace a couple resistors to repair mine, but since its burned up, I cannot determine the color bands on the body of the fuses. 🙂

 

Here is what mine looks like.

IcHWmO0m.jpg

 

Acl3g8em.jpg

 

kzA0m1Nl.jpg

 

 

Og2NmTuh.jpg

 

 

Edited by spddm0n
  • Like 1
Link to post
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

None of that info is in a service manual, it's just replaced. I don't know what you could do other than to just wire it on with the ignition. I had one apart and it's slightly different that that one.

  • Like 1
Link to post
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

None of that info is in a service manual, it's just replaced. I don't know what you could do other than to just wire it on with the ignition. I had one apart and it's slightly different that that one.

 

Yeah, I understand.  I figure that some others may have removed their's in attempt to repair it, like in the magazine article, didn't have success getting it to work, and kept it (still haev it lying around or have pics).  I would imagine they would be the same if the part number was the same. 🙂  I'm just hoping for a clear understanding of the size of the resistors.  They should be easy to replace. 🙂

 

I'll upload a pic of the part number too.

 

Edited by spddm0n
  • Like 1
Link to post

You get the part number and I will check one of mine and see if it is the same.  If it is I will open mine up to get the resistor color code for you.

  • Like 1
Link to post
34 minutes ago, Charlie69 said:

You get the part number and I will check one of mine and see if it is the same.  If it is I will open mine up to get the resistor color code for you.

Excellent!  I just uploaded more pics to the original post #1).  Part number on mine is: 28545-89900.

 

If you remove yours and open it up, be careful with the little screws on the back, they can strip easily.  Once the cover is off, you lift out the black plastic base (shouldn't even need prying) and remove the circuit board.  In order to remove the circuit board from the main body, flip the unit over and work on pressing down on the 6 metal spades that protrude through the main plastic body.  They slide through nicely if you keep them moving down and through the body evenly.  The spade alignment with the body are what are keeping the circuit board held into the plastic body. 🙂

 

Thanks!!!

Edited by spddm0n
  • Like 1
Link to post

Nissan wanted $180 for a fuel pump relay and 6-8 weeks delivery time. I bought two (one as a spare) online for about $70. Why would you want to screw with a broken one?

  • Like 1
Link to post
14 minutes ago, weldingrod said:

Nissan wanted $180 for a fuel pump relay and 6-8 weeks delivery time. I bought two (one as a spare) online for about $70. Why would you want to screw with a broken one?

$0.03 vs. cost of a new cheap Chinese version. 😉

  • Like 1
Link to post

spddm0n I have been busy I will try to look tomorrow.  All my trucks are 2 wheel drive but I think I still have an 85 4x4 harness that should have the fuel pump relay with it.

Link to post
8 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

spddm0n I have been busy I will try to look tomorrow.  All my trucks are 2 wheel drive but I think I still have an 85 4x4 harness that should have the fuel pump relay with it.

Thanks Charlie.  That would be great.  The fuel pump replays are the same for all Z24 applications produced 11/1982 and later.  I did find one (chinese-made) in the salvage yard truck the other day, and the truck is up and running again, but I would love to know the resistor sizes if you get around to checking.  Never know how long the new one will last.  The newer ones are all printed circuits (obviously), and who knows how well the components will last. 🙂

 

6RPeNgIl.jpg

 

arHSebtl.jpg

 

dNhu59Bl.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post

Never seen a Chinese one.  I have one that does not work but I have not taken the time to open it up to see what is wrong.  Is your fuel pump a factory unit or is it aftermarket?

Link to post
31 minutes ago, Charlie69 said:

Never seen a Chinese one.  I have one that does not work but I have not taken the time to open it up to see what is wrong.  Is your fuel pump a factory unit or is it aftermarket?

What I mean by Chinese is all the current replacement parts for nearly any vehicle that you buy at Autozone, Pep Boys, Advanced Auto, etc. like the one in the photo above.  It's some American company, but producing it in China.

 

My fuel pump looks factory, but I haven't removed it to check.  It's still working. 🙂

  • Like 1
Link to post
On 7/29/2019 at 5:47 AM, spddm0n said:

I thought I should probably start a new thread on this topic, rather than piggyback off another related thread.

 

I'd like to repair the fuel pump replay (fuel pump control unit).  I know there is a magazine article that talks about soldering a couple of the leads, where the solder begins to crack over time.  I had a different failure.  I burned out of the fuses on the board, and a second one looks like it's been overheated too.  Has anyone ever taken there's apart to make this repair and have any pictures of it?  Or, have one laying around that could tell me what the correct color bands (size) of the resistors on the board are?  

 

I would like to replace a couple resistors to repair mine, but since its burned up, I cannot determine the color bands on the body of the fuses. 🙂

 

Here is what mine looks like.

IcHWmO0m.jpg

 

Acl3g8em.jpg

 

kzA0m1Nl.jpg

 

 

Og2NmTuh.jpg

 

 

With my cameras I could not get a good picture of it but on mine R1 Is the same color code as R4.

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.