recoved stolen truck, how do i fix a hotwired car?

cdddt_95

my truck was stolen 2 weeks ago, its a 1980  720 king cab. Had to pay 250 to get it out, vehicle didn't look bad until i opened the hood and realized i needed to get it towed. they hotwired my car in the middle of the night and stole it from right in front of my house,  the thieves also stole the battery and my radiator, everything else was still intact. they also cut off my antenna for whatever reason. how do i fix the wiring in my vehicle?

also why did they cut off my antenna?

where can i get a replacement radiator for a 1980 720 , cant seem to find one anywhere.

they also removed the fan shroud, is that a necessary component for radiator function?

overall the damage could be much worse but i am still left without a running vehicle and stolen/damaged parts

IMG_20190717_112823.jpg

IMG_20190717_112838.jpg

IMG_20190717_112902.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1980 720 is a funny year, it is the only year with an L20B, 81 and up are Z series motors. 
The later radiator should bolt up to the truck, the upper hose will need to route to the other side, may even be able to use that stock hose. 
They are available through rockauto, so you should be able to get one locally as well. 

The shroud isn't critical, but it does help with the efficiency of the cooling system overall. 

Are the big white wires how they tapped into the ignition switch wiring? 

• Like 1

Being in Cali, there is also the possibility of locating parts at the junkyard, 720's are still showing up here and there. Should be able to get a shroud there if you keep an eye out. 

Row52.com is good for searching

car-parts.com is good as well. 

• Like 1

IMG_20190717_112838.jpg

These 4 wires go to the ignition switch. Probably to a blug that goes to the switch, but either way should be simple to find the other ends. use big connections and solder. A lot of power goes through them. The White/Black stripe is the main power from the fusible link directly to the battery. Be sure to disconnect the battery before messing with this. 

Did you leave your truck unlocked???? How'd they get in???

Find the wire to the electric fuel pump and put a remote switch in line. Truck may start but won't go a block before running out of gas.

• Like 4

hey datzenmike, i left my truck unlocked overnight to be honest. wasn't expecting it to get stolen, learned my lesson

anyways do i need a new ignition switch? since my original key doesn't seem to go fully in my original ignition anymore?

• Like 1

You can buy a replacement key cylinder from Rock Auto unless they broke the the aluminum housing.  If you measure the length of the wire from the switch to the cut off piece I can send you a long enough pigtail with the plug for the switch from a 1980 720 parts harness I have.  Mike is correct you want to solder the connections becuase of the high power draw through those wires.

They cut the antenna to be asshole/assholes

• Like 2
1 hour ago, cdddt_95 said:

anyways do i need a new ignition switch? since my original key doesn't seem to go fully in my original ignition anymore?

The  ignition switch has a locking function for the steering column so 'hot wiring" it isn't enough. Likely a screwdriver was forced into the key slot and turned to break this and allow steering is my guess.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

The  ignition switch has a locking function for the steering column so 'hot wiring" it isn't enough. Likely a screwdriver was forced into the key slot and turned to break this and allow steering is my guess.

Maybe is like mine, that does not lock the wheel when you remove the key... 🤔

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Look on the switch, see if it says start, on accessory, lock. Pretty sure it will have a lock. My '76 710 has locking ignition, your truck will too. Maybe broken.

😁😁 You are correct, sir...! 

How i never noticed...🙄🙄

• Like 3