1977 Datsun 120y engine swap (South Africa)

Blufyre

Hi everyone. New to Ratsun here. 

Thought this would be the best place to seek some advice, hopefully from South Africans (I'm from Johannesburg) that knows what's available here and what's possible.

I have a 1977 Datsun 120y with orginal engine, runs like a dream except uphill where I immediately lose power and speed and have to shift back (usually 3rd will do but some cases even have to go back to 2nd gear with a very steep hill).

I'm interested in doing an engine swap in the future. Something with decent power and a nice kick but still economical enough as a daily driver. So a good balance between lots of power but still being light on petrol and good as a daily.

I've looked at the engine swap pages on datsun1200.com. Lots of great info and just an awesome site in general, but I'd like some more input from people with personal experience etc on what swaps they have done and why and what they would recommend.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, bilzbobaggins said:

Crazy, some death metal band from South Africa just played next door to my bar this past weekend.  Does not help you out but  I felt like it needed to be said.  Good Luck.

Lol feel like I should say sorry, I can't imagine it was very good?😂 

• Like 1

Try replacing the fuel filter first. It's cheap and no harm done if it doesn't help as they should be replaced every 2-3 years anyway. Do you know when it was replaced last? No? then it's time.

Next is to set the valve lash. A series engine right? Set with the engine hot. Set to TDC compression stroke and set all marked 1. Then turn engine ONE turn and set all marked 2. Done with this method you can finish before the engine cools.

E = Exhaust

I = Intake

A = set at TDC compression stroke

B = set after turning engine ONE full turn back up to TDC

R  a  d

E = A

I = A

I = A

E =  B

E = A

I = B

I = B