J13 engines

Smardo

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Smardo said:

Looking for a j13 engine.  Must have front motor mounts.

The J13 came in many vehicle models.  The forward mounts are sure to be model specific.  What vehicle do you want the engine for ?

Edited by MikeRL411
typo
8 hours ago, MikeRL411 said:

The J13 came in many vehicle models. 

Must have been before the 520 truck. Before mid '60s? It was in lots of other Datsuns in other countries but only the 520 that I know of.

13 hours ago, wayno said:

The 411 came with a J13, both Andrew(bannanahamock) and Von(JJ) have them, JJ has one of my adapter plates in his now with a short shaft 5spd.

The 411 also came with an R16, that one was called an 411SSS.

There was also the 411SS  [Sport Sedan], a J13 with dual Hitachi {SU type} carbs.  JDM only product apparently.  That intake manifold and exhaust would be a boon to many "can I put SUs on my old Datsun" questions, and without cutting a hole in the LF fender liner for the exhaust like the RL411.

5 hours ago, MikeRL411 said:

There was also the 411SS  [Sport Sedan], a J13 with dual Hitachi {SU type} carbs.  JDM only product apparently.  That intake manifold and exhaust would be a boon to many "can I put SUs on my old Datsun" questions, and without cutting a hole in the LF fender liner for the exhaust like the RL411.

I don't know a lot about the 411 vehicles, some had kingpin front ends? with drum brakes?, while others had Roadster type ball joint front ends with disc brakes? and the R16?

I did not know there was an SS version.

The dual SU thing is where you need to look at the early MG parts, the dual SU manifolds bolt right on to the early Datsun head, not sure about the exhaust manifolds clearing Datsun fuel pumps though, there are a lot of MG parts that can be used on the E and J blocks.

My info says L520 production started April '65, #000001 to September '65 #004603. Technically I would call this a '65 model year but Nissan tends to lump new half year production into the next year?

October '65 #004604 to September '66 #019000 production numbers.

The earliest 620 was April '72 but it's called a '73

True, there is much inconsistency in the 'model year" designation in state titles, dealer invoices, service manuals, owners manuals, and brochures.  I defer to the VIN plate designation as the standard for month and year.  (I do confirm that the stamped engine number and frame number match the VIN plate.  I know anything can be forged, but due diligence and care are required when representing a vehicle....especially to other Datsun owners.!!!)

Edited by zed1
19 hours ago, wayno said:

I don't know a lot about the 411 vehicles, some had kingpin front ends? with drum brakes?, while others had Roadster type ball joint front ends with disc brakes? and the R16?

I did not know there was an SS version.

The dual SU thing is where you need to look at the early MG parts, the dual SU manifolds bolt right on to the early Datsun head, not sure about the exhaust manifolds clearing Datsun fuel pumps though, there are a lot of MG parts that can be used on the E and J blocks.

No 411 [or 410] had kingpins.

P series 411 had four wheel drum brakes [with ball joint front suspension]..

R series had Front wheel disc brakes designed after, but not fully interchangeable with, the 510 Lockheed disc brake system.  This system uses wedge shaped pads and pivots about one corner of the caliper assembly.

R series had a factory modified R16 engine to clear the radiator and fire wall of the shorter sedan engine compartment.  The standard roadster engine was too long and interfered with the radiator and firewall / windshield wiper assembly.

The SS Sport Sedan version was a JDM only version and was a factory version of hot rodded P series 411 that owners had retrofitted with the MG intake manifolds and dual SU type carbs.  This retrofit began with the original 1500 series sport car's J15 engine [which had only 1 SU] and was carried over to cars that their owner wanted a "difference" from regular street vehicles.  A stealth performance if you will.

18 minutes ago, zed1 said:

True, there is much inconsistency in the 'model year" designation in state titles, dealer invoices, service manuals, owners manuals, and brochures.  I defer to the VIN plate designation as the standard for month and year.  (I do confirm that the stamped engine number and frame number match the VIN plate.  I know anything can be forged, but due diligence and care are required when representing a vehicle....especially to other Datsun owners.!!!)

A very common, but not iron clad, usage was to begin the chassis number with zero in the first year of manufacture and increment by one for each subsequent year model.  To a certain extent this is carried over to the present day VIN first digit.