"clunk" when low

It's me again. So I got the T3 Coilovers installed and they look fantastic. BUT when I got low enough to level out front to back I get an odd "clunk" It sounds like the spring is hitting the side of the shock tower but it's not. Any idea? Clues? Thoughts? 

front.jpeg

side.jpeg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't really diagnose it unless in person.  You might enlist some help from a friend, and have them rock it while you climb under to see if you can pinpoint it. With that big of a clunking noise, I wouldn't think that would be terribly difficult to find.

7 hours ago, Duncan said:

Can't really diagnose it unless in person.  You might enlist some help from a friend, and have them rock it while you climb under to see if you can pinpoint it. With that big of a clunking noise, I wouldn't think that would be terribly difficult to find.

You would think it would be easy to diagnose but it's not. I have had people rock it, I can rock it etc but it's hard to find where exactly the noise is coming from.

7 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Strut is probably bottoming out.

I am going to agree with this one. If I leave about an 1" on the threads and do not take it down to 1/2" left on the threads it seems to be ok. The odd thing is/was that the drivers side would not get the same "clunk" when set to the same height. I am currently running with it at the 1" mark but it has my truck sitting 1/2" higher in the front.

Variables. The spring may be even slightly stiffer/softer on one side or it's slightly heavier on one side. If intending to go that low, really all you can do is increase the spring constant but it may be too stiff for your liking.

10 hours ago, thisismatt said:

Drop the spring perch all the way and find where it's bottoming out. Get shorter inserts and shorten tubes if necessary.

I though of this too BUT I just spent quite a bit having these made I am in no hurry to pay to make new ones. I'll ride 1/2" higher in the front for now. 

11 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Variables. The spring may be even slightly stiffer/softer on one side or it's slightly heavier on one side. If intending to go that low, really all you can do is increase the spring constant but it may be too stiff for your liking.

It;s pretty stiff already at it's current height. I have the Konis at mid stiffness. I'm leaving it for now I just wondered if any of you all had run into such a noise. 

• 11 months later...