slowlearner

Nana Spec 69' 510

Not too bad, but room for improvement. I've had success with small gauge wire and also I found when spot welding like this: I spread spot welds out across the patch, wait for it to cool. Then I weld right on the edge of a weld and the panel at a 45 degree. then keep spreading it across the panel. Doing helps me not blow through the panel. Also having an air nozzle close by to help cool the panel down is helpful.

• Like 1

I'll try that next. I'm going to do some more practice first. I've been at the welding shop this morning. Bought a new mask as we discovered the old one I had was truly knackered. Hopefully that should help. The old one was free and owed me nothing anyway so I'm not sad.

50 minutes ago, slowlearner said:

I'll try that next. I'm going to do some more practice first. I've been at the welding shop this morning. Bought a new mask as we discovered the old one I had was truly knackered. Hopefully that should help. The old one was free and owed me nothing anyway so I'm not sad.

Oh yeah a good mask makes a big difference. I was using a harbor freight (Chinese) auto darkening mask for years. It was difficult to see and yet my eyes would be fatigued after each use no matter the setting. I paid up for a nice one and could see much better and no issues with my eyes.

turns out if you can see what your doing, it makes welding easier. Who would have thought?

good luck and keep posting your progress. 

• Like 1

Another plug for my favorite body work youtube channel.  This video is great and well worth the time, should help you get the welder set up.  and as others have said do a small tack, move somewhere else, wait, come back.  Stitching panels together takes time. 

• Like 1

This is a good video about butt welding in patch panels. specifically pay attention around the 9:00 mark. Great tip there!

On 7/8/2020 at 12:59 PM, Draker said:

This is a good video about butt welding in patch panels. specifically pay attention around the 9:00 mark. Great tip there!

Yeah, thanks for that. I've actually tried this. The issue is that the metal is too thin relative to the cutting disk. So on heavier gauge steel it works well. On the thin stuff our dattos are made of, it leaves too big a gap... and you know how that ends. 😞 

Edited by slowlearner
  • Like 1