Still looks a tiny bit sunk in that last pic because it's on a downhill slope. When on level ground, it is very flush, and looks a million percent better...

As mentioned a post or two back, the HVAC is being... problematic.  We have a blower motor and resistor on the way so we can get tucked in to fixing that issue.  I'm beginning to think that if we can civilize this thing enough, it might become my daily driver.  Of course before that can be, we need to figure out that CEL about the "secondary water temp over-voltage," or whatever, that I think is running me a tad rich.  While 11.6 miles per gallon isn't terrible, it is a far cry from the 35* MPG I get in the Smart.

*Which is NOT indicative of normal Smart Car mileage because I drive like an asshole!

Edited by dimlight65
punctuation/grammar
  • Haha 1

So I replaced the blower motor resistor while waiting for John to show up Wednesday evening.  That was not what was causing the problem.  I got the old fan out and the squirrel cage removed and was grokking how to make it stay on the new motor when John arrived.  We decided a test of the motor was in order before going through the ass-whip of reinstalling.  It didn't spin very fast at all.  "Hmm," we says to each other, "shall we try the old motor?"  This we did and the results were the same.  Then we got the bright idea to hot-wire the motor straight to the battery.  Yeah, when that sucker tries to go from zero to light-speed instantaneously, one had better have a rock solid grip on it.  This was a thing which we did not have. The squirrel cage bit John  while the motor housing caught my finger.  Not much blood was lost, but it sure hurt like a bastard.  So we now know that the fan motor(s) is (are) good and so is (are) the resistor(s).  Oh yeah, swapping resistors didn't make a difference either, by the way.  John begins an interweb search for answers.  Turns out the switch in the dash is a known problem source.  Guess what, go on, I'll wait.  Um hmm, my fan speed switch in the dash, the one which would be a real piece of piss easy to replace, is bad.  I have one on the way to try Saturday.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2020 at 7:42 PM, dimlight65 said:

I have one on the way to try Wednesday...

😁

I actually went to the shop by myself on Saturday to get the van for a project Sunday.  I was in a hurry when I picked it up so I didn't look at swapping the switch then though.  After driving across town and consulting with the folks involved with the Sunday event, it was decided that the van was not going to be necessary after all.  I decided that since I was halfway between the shop and home, I'd go ahead and return the van to the shop.  This time I did think about looking at swapping the switch.  I didn't do it, but I thought about it.  So, to make a short story long, we will install the switch Wednesday, as John said.

Got bored... Had a drill in my hand...  So...

small.IMG_20200311_193734_037.jpg.9166b9

Tim also got the fan switch installed and now it all works correctly. Just need to charge the A/C soon...

Edited by datsunfreak

On 3/12/2020 at 3:29 PM, datsunfreak said:

Got bored... Had a drill in my hand...  So...

small.IMG_20200311_193734_037.jpg.9166b9

There were questions as to whether or not this thing was going to be sucked into the big bumper hole at speed.  *Spoiler* It was.  So today we added a wee magnet inside the loop to hold it in place.  THAT appears to have worked.  And we (ok, John) washed the rest of the black schmutz off the roof.

• Like 1

I had not driven it since Saturday the 14th so I decided I would drive it to work today and tomorrow.  Dang, I really like this van!  Having said that, we have a problem.  As I was hooning down the Dam Road (shakes fist in the air), I downshifted through the gears coming to a stop and heard a disconcerting "CLUNK" from the rear when first gear hit.  When I got on the gas again, there was a similar loud "CLUNK" from the rear.  I am now convinced that we trimmed too much off of the "black things" that came with the flip kit and now the axle is free to rotate under positive and/or negative torque load.  I'm not sure how we're going to fix it, but fix it we must.