Project Dajiban

As Heraclitus said, "The only constant is change."

This bad boy should be here Monday.

image.thumb.png.524eaad9f4a5ce9a4ed59c1347927fb2.png

And yes, I will totally laugh it up if it turns out that it says "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Stupid American"

Edited by dimlight65
  • Like 1
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 hours ago, dimlight65 said:

As Heraclitus said, "The only constant is change."

This bad boy should be here Monday.

image.thumb.png.524eaad9f4a5ce9a4ed59c1347927fb2.png

And yes, I will totally laugh it up if it turns out that it says "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Stupid American"

It says 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and "後進=backward" 

Amusingly this works in Chinese and Japanese.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/後

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/進

Edited by Dguy210
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Dguy210 said:

It says 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and "後進=backward" 

Amusingly this works in Chinese and Japanese.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/後

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/進

I knew someone would translate it.  Thank you!  

I was a bit worried, since it was most likely made in China, that it would be Chinese and not Japanese.  I'm glad it worked out!  Although, I must admit, I am a little disappointed that it doesn't say "Miso Soup" or something.

• Haha 1

Some goodies waiting for me to take to the shop...

IMG_20220719_152144056.thumb.jpg.38b447b99008da27db679ca5c4663dfc.jpg

Kanji shift ball and hydraulic line for the clutch.

IMG_20220719_152153699.thumb.jpg.e5218d810d4f64565471eb49ff3bf927.jpg

Reusable/washable oil filter.

IMG_20220719_152202744.thumb.jpg.998317753483f5d01e4b79c2ee29dd85.jpg

And new, 5.5" longer driveshaft.

IMG_20220719_152206495.thumb.jpg.39051e0d7a7646438da1d0a92a2e6a32.jpg

IMG_20220719_152213428.thumb.jpg.17ba3c989f8804aeb7a69f722ea8e2b6.jpg

• Like 1
On 7/17/2022 at 7:42 PM, dimlight65 said:

I knew someone would translate it.  Thank you!  

I had my wife look at it it.  She confirmed it, but I forgot to post about it.

I was kinda hoping it translated into something derogatory, but no such luck..

• Thanks 1
On 7/16/2022 at 8:25 PM, dimlight65 said:

LOL.  Actually, what worked best and was most comfortable was using the angle thingy to point the thing forward.  It looked totally stupid though so that's not in the running.  The second most comfortable, for me, was straight.  Angled up was the least comfortable for me, but looked the best... until I saw these pictures.  I think I'm going to vote for straight.  And since it's my van...😋

Yeah, my mind is swimming a bit at how quickly this is going down!  But, even though I'm not showing it in person, I am super excited about this project.

As much as possible, having the shifter where it feels "naturally at hand" would be the better spot regardless of how it looks, unless it looks REALLY stupid 🤣. At least it isn't coming outta the dash like a 2CV (them Frenchies are weird...)

This swap is coming together very quick!

• Like 1

There are certain Mopars that are rather infamous for that forward pointed shifter, you know...

hurst_5388575.jpg

3 hours ago, EDM620 said:

As much as possible, having the shifter where it feels "naturally at hand" would be the better spot regardless of how it looks, unless it looks REALLY stupid

• Like 1
3 hours ago, EDM620 said:

At least it isn't coming outta the dash like a 2CV (them Frenchies are weird...)

Also, same on a Honda N600.  😁

18 minutes ago, Duncan said:

There are certain Mopars that are rather infamous for that forward pointed shifter, you know...

hurst_5388575.jpg

I tried to talk him into this, but no luck yet. I may put one in my car just for spite...   😄

• Confused 1
11 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

I tried to talk him into this, but no luck yet. I may put one in my car just for spite...   😄

I remember the first time I saw one, I thought it was ugly.  They make sense ergonomically, but Dajiban and all..

I say do whatever makes your feel funny in the pants...

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

A) When?

2) What I recall you trying to convince me to use was one of these...

image.png.869852a901dcd5722f8c2f6d70189add.png

which we had laying around. 

For the record, I tried it and it was awesome... for drag racing!  For road racing, the ball is much more betterer. 

Banging through the gears on a max acceleration run where you don't take your hand off the shifter, this would be the most-ut.  

Grabbing a downshift/upshift while negotiating turns, getting a proper grip on this is too slow.

Edited by dimlight65
9 minutes ago, dimlight65 said:

For road racing, the ball is much more betterer.

Yeah, grabbin that other handle would be like just harsh dude. You gonna be banging it through the gears right??? Maybe some track time, y'know true Dajiban n all.

Just make sure the bike fully strapped into the E-track inside, Precious hates it when the bike goes flopping around 😁

• Like 1

I managed to complete a few tasks before John showed up today.

First, I made a 1/2-20 to m12x1.25 adapter to install the "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Miso Soup" shift ball.

IMG_20220720_133205543.thumb.jpg.6e2abc6ffc8234b3e665b3ac4a2c086b.jpg

Of course it was not pretty enough for John, so he cleaned it up and painted it.  I have no pictures of that.

Then I installed the reusable/washable oil filter.

IMG_20220720_152101744.thumb.jpg.cc0d234e3b40c27d6896a7079dde4a16.jpg

I safety wired the base so that, hopefully, only the canister portion will unscrew when oil change time comes.

I then checked to see if the longer of my two oil cooler lines would be long enough.  It was!  I installed that and then went to build the other line.  I would have sworn those were -8AN hoses.  Well, to make a short story long, two 10' -8 hoses are going back to Amazon and one 10' -10 hose will be here tomorrow.  I'll finish plumbing the oil cooler and take pictures Saturday.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, EDM620 said:

You gonna be banging it through the gears right???

Oh hells yeah!  Bangin' up and down those mo-fos!

6 minutes ago, EDM620 said:

Just make sure the bike fully strapped into the E-track inside

LOL, there's a BOFA in the back!  It's BOFA bed and a sofa!

My 340 Dart had a plastic ball but Hurst advertising and peer pressure talked everyone into switching to the T handle, so I did, and for months I tried and tried to get it to work. Eventually I went back to the ball. The T handle was metal and getting in a hot car you needed a glove to drive it. They weigh a ton too, so power shifting you had to get the extra weight quickly up to speed. Also the shifter sort of fit your hand but it moves through an arc so your wrist had to do all the work keeping your hand in the right position. The ball on the other hand (pun intended) worked like a hip joint or a ball joint. No matter how you grabbed it it was correct.

• Like 1

Driveshaft installed...

image.jpeg.1911782b55c857a3f52104bc26d9b54a.jpeg

Clutch line installed at the master...

image.jpeg.5011fbe4db201fbd02d9afa03f8039c9.jpeg

And at the slave...

image.jpeg.7b6cf87e18038acc6a8a780b24234cfc.jpeg

And a view of the driver's header...

image.jpeg.82b88de3cdb124d5d7a24d324a88f94b.jpeg

We had also made a drop down heatshield for this side of the doghouse previously. This should help keep header heat off that clutch line, starter, and battery cable. 

• Like 2

Angle in should equal angle out. So transmission center line to the center line of the drive shaft must equal drive line center line to the differential pinion center line.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/images/pinion_angle_bad_angles.PNG

4 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

That is the plan. We just need to change the diff pinion angle slightly. 

And by "slightly," he means "radically"!

You see, the flip kit we used on the axle had these U-shaped fabricated locator devices which, somehow, were too tall but the right diameter.  The "too talledness" lowered the van an extra 1/2" or so that we couldn't quite match up front.  "Someone" decided to trim the "too talledness" out of them and got a little ambitious with his cutting.  Rather than 1/2" he cut 3/4" or so.  This resulted in the locator things not locking in the pinion angle.  On hard acceleration, the pinion will nose up, and under hard (especially engine) braking it will nose down.  We haven't fixed it yet because it's a monumental PITA to get them out under the back of the van.  With it up in the air already, we just have to deal with the "get them out" PITA.