Charlie69's 521s

Charlie69

A few months ago I purchased a fairly complete 1971 521.  Then a month later I purchessed a 1971 cab and chassis for parts.  These were intended for a 66 520 quad cab build where I was going to stretch the hood, inner fenders, and the fenders to make more room in the engine compartment.  Wayno convinced me to do a 521 quad cab instead.  This is mainly do to the fact that the 520 hood tapers and this make the engine compartment narrower.  I have a 1995 Nissan Pathfinder 2 wheel drive V6 and automatic transmission for this build.

I spent Sunday morning stripping the cab and chassis of all the removable parts from the cab.

DSC02922.jpg

DSC02923.jpg

DSC02924.jpg

DSC02925.jpg

DSC02926.jpg

DSC02927.jpg

DSC02928.jpg

DSC02929.jpg

DSC02930.jpg

DSC02931.jpg

DSC02932.jpg

DSC02933.jpg

DSC02934.jpg

DSC02935.jpg

DSC02936.jpg

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 4
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea if the actual engine compartment is narrower Charlie, never even thought about this, but I can say that everything I have in my 521 work truck fit into my 1966 520(engine/SUs/power brake booster assembly/power steering), but the front of the 520 engine compartment inner fenders might be closer together.

I will say the engine compartment is shorter in the 520, and the hood and fenders are made/tapered differently so it makes extending them way harder to do, after I put that L20b in my 520 I decided never to do another 520 as the engine compartment is just too short/small.

Datguy put a VG30 into a 320, if that can be done it can be done to a 520.

I believe Von(JJ) extended his 521 in the cowl area between the door and front fender wells to install a V8 so he could tow his race car with the 521, next time I see him I could ask how he did it as it looked just fine(not cobbled together), as I recall the hood was extended near the cowl, and the fenders were extended between the door and fender wells as already mentioned, but you may not need to extend the engine compartment in a 521, Yello620 put a VG30 in his 620 without extending anything, he would be a good source for parts info, starter/intake and exhaust manifolds ect, that will fit to clear everything, he also knows which parts are needed to make adjustable tie rods for the 520/521/early 620.

• Like 1

Thank you Wayno for the information.  I was figuring if the 520 hood tapered (narrowed) to the front the the engine bay did also.  I will measure and post back.

It is not hidden or mythiical at all it is Blair and Son Auto Parts.   He is air cooled VW yard that has been at this location over 40 years.

The Datsuns and Nissans are mine.

I noticed a Nissan Titan with Cummins badge on it.  I will have to research this!  LOL

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased this 69 521 today for parts.

1969-Datsun-521-Parts-Truck-Tucson-1.jpg

1969-Datsun-521-Parts-Truck-Tucson-2.jpg

1969-Datsun-521-Parts-Truck-Tucson-3.jpg

1969-Datsun-521-Parts-Truck-Tucson-4.jpg

1969-Datsun-521-Parts-Truck-Tucson-5.jpg

1969-Datsun-521-Parts-Truck-Tucson-6.jpg

It is a couple hours away from here so I will pick it up after the SWDP Barbecue.

It is sitting on an early Scout chassis.  Unfortunately the tail gate is gone.

• Like 3

No the four wheel drive stuff does not work.  The firewall and the inner fenders were hacked in a poor attempt to make the scout 6 cylinder work.  The floors are all rusted out.  I am not taking the chassis or any of the scout stuff.

Edited by Charlie69

me and charlie went to look at this and also found a 720 s/c 4x4 and some  mid 80's madza k/c's also and then we went to another location to look at some barracuda parts for me and the guys 2 drag cars and a hudson hornet 4 door sedan. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

me and charlie went to pick up the datsun 521 on friday and we hoped it would have only took maybe 1 hour but it turned out to be most of the day due to who ever fabbed up cab and bed mounting points onto scout chassis did a terrible job with bolts but we finally got it back to his 521 corral for is quad cab build

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am no longer helping Jan Blair at Blair & Son Auto Parts (Air cooled VW Wrecking Yard) so I have to have all my trucks and parts out by October 31 2019.   I sold the 71 521 complete truck today with the extra 71 521 chassis.  The blue cab from the 71 Cab & chassis will have the passenger floor cut out tomorrow to repair the floor in the 521 I sold today.  I will keep the roof and back of the cab as there is rust in the rest.

The blue cab Gene Knight gave me I will keep as it is the best of the cabs, no rust.  We cut the roof off of the 67 520 today and the radiator support.

The white 69 cab had the roof cut off last week for Shawn's 521.  The rest of the cab was rusty and hacked so scrap it is.

The 90 hardbody is homeless so will get scrapped tomorrow.  The 85 720 ST with the bent frame was reduced to scrap to day as I removed all the new front suspension and brakes that was put under it a couple years ago.  I am saving the rear end and the bed for my 86 King Cab and will scrap the 86 rusty bed.  Tomorrow will be my last day for clean up at Blair and Son so it will be grab the last of the parts off of the 85 720, cut the back of the bed off of the of the 67 520, and cut the roof and back of of the 71 cab & chassis off.  Next scrap all the remains and tow my 84 720 King Cab St to a storage area, and clean up the mess. 

Yes I will still be doing a quad cab in time.  I might also do a Wayno 520 King Cab in the mean time since I will most likely get a 1980 720 2wd king cab this weekend.

The hoarding life continues!!!  LOL

• Like 2