Need new seats/Repair broken ones

spddm0n

I have bucket seats in my 720 and the driver-side seat is broken (the physical spring structure in the seat pan and the "pan bolsters".  I don't think that structure is easily repairable, however I hate to have mismatched seats also.  I might have to buy a couple new seats, however, I'd like to maintain my OEM look/feel.  I saw some reference to Isuzu Rodeo seats (late 90's?), but I'm hoping to find an inexpensive option (like picking up some used seats at the salvage yard).  There aren't good options for 720's in salvage yards within about 500 miles from here.

Are there seats with similar shape that bolt up, and I might even swap the fabric over to match my interior?  I have tan interior. Maybe I can find a suitable color-matching tan seat from another vehicle?

• Like 1
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check the height of the front of the seats you plan to use. The 720 seats are very low. I am using some maxima power seats in mine late 80s. Take some accurate measurements and work your way through the junkyard. I am going through this myself the maxima seats are tired, i have some fuel hose covering a spring that kept biting my ass. Also I have a friend with a junkyard that is selling me some Mercedes leather seats for cheap. Gonna take a little fab work but worth it.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies!  Interesting options. I’d love to keep my original seats if I can. The fabric is in great shape, it’s just the springs in the pan on the driver side are broken (many of them). 

I’ll talk to my welder friend and see what he thinks. 🙂

• Like 1

You can get the zig-zag seat springs from different vendors. We had used them from OPGI to rebuild a set of Chevrolet seats.

Amazon has 11 gauge 10 foot long for $19.00. Looks like the same stuff we used. 

Chopper Jim

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Chopper Jim said:

You can get the zig-zag seat springs from different vendors. We had used them from OPGI to rebuild a set of Chevrolet seats.

Amazon has 11 gauge 10 foot long for $19.00. Looks like the same stuff we used. 

Chopper Jim

Interesting...I wasn't sure if those springs could be obtained.

I found them on Amazon, thank you.  Looks like a slightly different size, but it might work.  Or, perhaps there are a variety of sizes made like that.  ??

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, DuallyDatsun said:

If you want to go with just relaxing them and can find a good set. Z31 300zx seats line up almost perfectly with the bolt holes. I had a set of leather ones out of a turbo in my 84 that were great.

Thanks.  I could probably find a set or three of those laying around. 😉

What you do mean "almost perfectly"?  What modification is required?  Drilling the holes slightly larger or something simple?  How's the sitting height, relative to stock?  Does the driver-side clear the computer under the driver's seat?

• Like 1