fuel pump distance

I'm running a 15 gal fuel cell, connected to a Carter fuel pump (with filters and all, etc)

My question is, do you guys think I'll run into any issues with it mounted about the same level as the cell, and approx 24 in away? - pump further back into trunk than cell is (so cell closest to rear of car, pump towards front of vehicle)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I installed my pump to be at the lowest point i could get it to the fuel cell so the fuel will flow into it more naturally and the pump won't have to work too hard to draw fuel. 

Distance should not be a problem. 

Ideally as low as possible but lets not forget where the mechanical pumps sit way up front and high on an engine and they work just fine. Pumps can produce almost unlimited pressure on the outlet but are limited on the inlet by atmospheric pressure pushing the fuel in. This amounts to about 14.9 PSI or what ever 1 bar is. No pump, no matter how strong or efficient, can pull a liquid vertically more than about 30 feet.

They can be loud or allowed to be louder if mounted in the tank but it's better protected in there and the fuel cools the pump.

Mine has about 18" worth of fuel line between the pump and the fuel cell, the pump is also mounted slightly above the top of the cell. Also note it's a cheap parts store pump, I have no issues whatsoever. Granted my motor isn't making 500hp either.

The Carter pump is probably the best performing, and is less noisy than a Holley pump, but it is still very loud. They do come with rubber isolators to help quiet them down.

Mounting them in the trunk is almost never a problem, and I've done it this way many times, but Bottomwatcher has a good point, if it's for EFI, you may want to re-think the placement.

Here's one I installed a few years ago.

IMG_0623_zpsyq11w5mf.jpg

16 minutes ago, zewiz said:

Thanks for all the input 

It is connecting to a Weber 32/36,  so no EFI worries (or high HP)

Sounds great, looks like I’ll stick with my plan then!

I know you said Carter but which model pump did you get...... 

Find a way to verify your preassure because the weber only wants around 3 psi....

A DGV doesn't need any special fuel pump. A stock one will supply all that you can burn.

But if you insist on the electric pump, you will need a good pressure regulator too. I usually run a new hard line from the tank to the engine bay so I can put the regulator on the passenger side of the firewall. I use 3/8" line to accept -6 AN fittings, then plumb it to a low pressure Holley regulator.

Like this -

IMG_3078%20Small_zpsngcaanka.jpg

or this -

IMG_0622.jpg

For a single carb, you won't need a fuel distribution log, but it is a good place to put the psi gauge.

IMG_0621.jpg

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

I know you said Carter but which model pump did you get...... 

Find a way to verify your preassure because the weber only wants around 3 psi....

P4070 I believe..

and I’m running a regulator to keep psi in check 

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
On 7/2/2019 at 9:48 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

good pressure regulator too.

regulator on the passenger side of the firewall. 

IMG_3078%20Small_zpsngcaanka.jpg

I found with my Carter pump in the rear the DCOEs did fine w/o a regulater. pump mounted in the engine bay the regulator was necessary.

• Like 1