U20 vs a15 comparison

Creamz

I'll begin with, I've never owned a u20 engine. My wife currently has a 210 wagon, that needs a engine and trans, we plan to do a ka24de swap, which we Have most of everything needed To do it besides time. I was offered a really good deal on a built u20 from a roadster and transmission. 

So that brings me here, I've looked through countless threads and pictures online, kinda hard to find someone who has Done a u20 swap on a 210 or anyone with pictures comparing mounts of both engines. So I ask, has anyone attempted this here, or know any good info on a u20 mounting into a 210? 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure someone has done a KA into a 210. While basically all the same problems would need addressing, the KA would be better known and parts availability much better pluss the drive ability and mileage of an EFI system. Sometimes even free is too expensive and never a good reason for a swap. Ever look for Roadster parts? Most parts, specially the transmission are made from a special metal called 'unobtainium'. This is an engine/transmission not made after '70 in a beautiful but money pit of a car. (no offense)

Swapping in a U20 is not that different from a L series. You don’t see any info because they are an expensive engine to rebuild. I would suggest if you are getting a good deal is to sell the U20 to a Roadster guy and use the profits toward the KA. A solid used motor is worth in the 1.5k area and the trans around $750.

Edited by datsunrides
  • Like 3

It's a built race Motor and trans for 250$

it has dual webers and a huge oil pan but unknown running condition, this is what I was told and from pictures it's true. If anyone near Mississippi is interested, lady listed it on Facebook market place, said it was Her husbands..

This is a stupid cheap price for that even if the motor were blown. I too gave thought to running a U20 in my car but as mentioned parts are expensive. If that were closer to me I'd buy it and run it till it went south.

For a street car it'd likely be horrible, no power below 5000 rpm, very rough idle and likely would last more than a few months.

For your car you could put a stock L16-L20 in it as they are nearly a bolt in and see an increase of 15-20 horsepower before you do anything to them.

Depending on smog laws in your state there is an easy 10hp to be had out of the A15 for not a lot of money. You can also get 15-20hp by changing the cam, cleaning up the ports, adding a weber 32/36 carb and a header. You could also add motorcycle carbs and get another 8-10hp beyond that (the bike carbs require a custom intake manifold). 90HP at the wheels is possible in street trim. You might be able to do this for as little as $600 if you bide your time shopping for parts and as much as $1500 if not. You can also take the A-series out to 1600cc using Mazda pistons.

End of the day the time and effort would likely be spent on getting the KA in there. The only bennifit to the A-series is you won't need to do all of the drive train upgrades the KA needs.