Z24 trans to z20 engine?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All Z series transmissions will bolt to all Z series engines however, length could be a problem and the transmission cross member and mount. The A10 uses a short 26" 4 speed or optional dogleg 5 speed. The 720 uses either a 31.5" or a 26" 5 speed so if you can find a Z series 2wd 'shorty' you shouldn't have to shorten your drive shaft. Don't look at 4x4s as they don't have a speedometer drive in the tail. Don't be that guy, do it right.

The A10 automatic might be 31.5" long same length, as the 720 long transmission. You might be able to swap in a long 5 speed using a shorter automatic driveshaft. This is what I did on my 710.

A u t o   m a t i c  DRIVESHAFT

Long five speed  DRIVESHAFT

Four speed   DRIVE   S H A F T

Shorty5spd  DRIVE   S H A F T..... does this make sense?

• Like 1

This helps me immensely.... I cannot find parts for my 81 datsun 510 anywhere.... I need a hatch, backeat, and a windshield for sure.... But I do need an extra gear cause 3100 rpm in 4th at 62 not isn't really cutting the cake if you catch my drift.... I dig it a lot tho.... I learned how to drive stick in this same car but it was a fastback.... I have done a ridiculous amount of research on it and can't find a solid build on an 81 510 wagon... So im pretty stoked... Also ordered 3" lowering blocks and 280z coilovers and struts....

• Like 1

The '80 and up A10 has a 3.364 ratio differential and came with P165 x 13 tires. Confirmed... about 3,100 at 62. I guess you drive a lot on the highway and want to drop the top RPMs a little? Otherwise if primarily in town a fifth gear won't get much use.

Your 4 speed is likely 26" long, you should check this. There was an optional factory A10 dogleg 5 sped for the hatchback model but finding this rare beast would be something else as only made for 2? years on the Z20 cars. There were shorty 26" 5 and 31.5" 71B five speeds used on the 2ws 720 truck. Exactly the same but for their lengths. The shorty would need some mods to the mount on the cross member but you wouldn't have to shorten the drive shaft. The 71B is a six cylinder (and truck) transmission so very strong for a car 4 cylinder.

An automatic A10 is likely 31.5" long, same as the long 31.5" 720 5 speed. So it's not a big stretch to assume that an automatic A10 drive shaft would be exactly short enough to fit a long 720 5 speed into your car. This is exactly what I did on my 710 to switch from the short 4 speed to the long 5 speed. Again, you will need to modify the mount and the speedometer gear inside will need to be replaced to read accurately.

The over drive for the 720 5 speeds range from 16.7 to 18.7%  or 2,653 RPM or 2,587 RPMs at 62 MPH 

• Like 1