510 Brake & Susp. upgrade

Foster SS

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'79-'83 280zx struts. Very large caliper and large diameter vented caliper. You may need 14" rims for clearance and a larger caliper will require more brake fluid from the master so the pedal will feel mushy. A larger master cylinder will require more pedal effort so if you have a brake booster on your 510 the '79-'81 15/16" 280zx master works well. 

All models of the 280zx struts (turbo or NA) have the same struts. The '81-'84 Maxim is another source of larger caliper and vented rotor. In a nut shell you can cut the zx lower perch off and swap the 510 perch on and support it in place with a split collar, (about $25 a pair) which can be raised or lowered to set the ride height.  Use the 510 spring and 'top hat' as the zx spring to too large a diameter. The zx strut is slightly shorter length (2cm+ or just over 3/4") so you can be his much lower. The stock spring rate is about 90 pounds per inch (lb./in.) and with some easy calculations can be trimmed in length to increase the spring rate. Always a good idea and specially good if on a lowered car. Lowering, lowers the center of gravity of a vehicle and improves handling and stopping.

0VoENXE.jpg

Lowering a couple of inches will introduce some bump steer. I just made my own spacers out of scrap aluminum rather than buying them. 

ULBN6wC.jpg

If the oil bath dampers have been replaced with inserts you'll have to replace them. If they still have the oil in them, this can be replaced with thicker motorcycle hydraulic fork oil to firm up the action. I used Bell Ray fork oil about $15 for a liter, enough for three struts.

As DMike says, 280ZX struts, calipers and rotors are a great upgrade. Then you can get a TechnoToys Tuning coil over kit and you are set for adjustable front suspension. This is one of the most affordable ways to improve the front of a 510. If your 510  top strut mounts are good you can use them as is. Here's my setup with 200 lb springs and KYB strut inserts.

46621588784_7d35894d4a_o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

85-86 Maxima rear brakes with 200 sx rotors are good for the rear, but you will need caliper brackets.  280 zx with T3 coilovers/camber plates for the front, sweet.  Full T3 coilover replacements for the rear, another good idea...…...just my $0.02 here.