Recommended Killswitch

Yousef

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the battery kill switch idea. They are good for other reasons too. If you don't drive it that frequently, it's nice to disconnect the battery.

For security reason, hiding the kill switch is important. I have hidden them under the dash (on the firewall, which makes the cable connections easy), under the seat, in a glove box, under the hood. I've even seen them hidden under the bed mounted on a frame rail.

Note on battery kill switches - Amperage rating. The ones you can usually get at a local auto parts store almost always have low amp ratings (20 amp). If you have anything like a winch, think about getting one with a higher amp rating. Summit Racing sells a ton of them, all the way up to 300 amps.

• Like 2

Had an '87 El Camino with the Club. They cut the steering wheel, which made the Club useless. The next day the tow yard called and said they had our car.

Complete shell, nothing left.

Chopper Jim

• Like 1

A hidden kill switch for ignition,a hidden kill switch for the electric fuel pump,and the club.I don't leave my car anywhere but my house long term.If i go out of town the distributor cap, rotor and coil wire all get removed and i park another car behind the 510.I had a nice 510 stolen once and am paranoid now.

• Like 2

A kill switch outside the cab is inconvenient in the rain and anyone can guess what you are doing.

Take the dimmer switch out and throw it away. The lights are already too dim. Keep the knob. Put a headlamp pull switch in it's place and glue the dimmer knob onto it. Wire the ignition and starter solenoid to parking lamps and head lights. Pull the switch all the way out and you're good. Push all the way in everything is off yet the dimmer is in it's normal position. If you have an electric fuel pump wire that in and it will only go a block.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

A kill switch outside the cab is inconvenient in the rain and anyone can guess what you are doing.

Take the dimmer switch out and throw it away. The lights are already too dim. Keep the knob. Put a headlamp pull switch in it's place and glue the dimmer knob onto it. Wire the ignition and starter solenoid to parking lamps and head lights. Pull the switch all the way out and you're good. Push all the way in everything is off yet the dimmer is in it's normal position. If you have an electric fuel pump wire that in and it will only go a block.

Great idea.