1980 720 clutch slave cylinder

Paulz

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Generally truck slaves have the fitting in the end and cars to the side. This is strictly for truck only, torsion bar clearance and either will work. Maybe yours was changed out for one from a car.

The bleeder should be above the inlet to allow air bubbles out. Just a guess but I would say it's from a 720 diesel which has the clutch arm and slave on the left, or driver's side and would have the bleeder opposite to the slaves mounted on the right. A new one, for a gas engine, should be the proper way round.

• Like 1

Mike!

The plot thickens, of course.  Went to the auto parts this morning, the one they show for a 1980 4x4 is just like the one on there, side ports and bleeder on the bottom.  The two wheel drive one has the end connections.  Unfortunately my truck is not here, neither is the manual, and I need to get it ordered for tomorrow.  I don't even remember if it has torsion bars, I guess so, or how much room there is around it, seemed like plenty.  Here's links to the two they have.

Oh, oh, just remembered I took a photo of it yesterday.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/power-torque-4688/engine-parts---mounts-16774/transmission---transaxle-16780/clutch-parts-16462/clutch-slave-cylinder-11336/808c079b207c/power-torque-clutch-slave-cylinder/cs2094/4670887/1983/nissan/720-pickup?q=Clutch+Slave+Cylinder&pos=1

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/power-torque-4688/engine-parts---mounts-16774/transmission---transaxle-16780/clutch-parts-16462/clutch-slave-cylinder-11336/808c079b207c/power-torque-clutch-slave-cylinder/cs2093/4670886/1983/nissan/720-pickup?q=Clutch+Slave+Cylinder&pos=0

eo9Aux6.jpg

• Like 1

My understanding is 1980 is an oddball year for the 4x4, maybe they just used what was around.  In any case I have to decide whether to use a side port with the bleeder up top or an end port, which I assume also has the bleeder on top.  I can't tell where the torsion bar is in the photo, looks to me like either would work.

• Like 1

It's really the rubber seal that you need. I got one recently and the 'rubber' was more like soft RTV. I took it apart to make sure there were no aluminum chips inside and to grease the seal with brake fluid.

• Like 1

I picked up the one I ordered at Oreilly yesterday.  It's just like the one on there, the bleeder port on the bottom but the hole must lead to the top I'm guessing.  I didn't get the cheapest one they had, it was $24, but still probably China.  Going out to my cabin today to put it on.

• Like 1