No Blinkers

Lt27

I need help with my blinkers, ive done my research and have followed instructions that ive found. The blinkers worked intermittently and just went out completely, but the hazard lights still work. My reverse lights nor the fuel gauge are working either and they used to, all quit working about the same time. Anyway, both flashers are new and so is the multiswitch, all fuses are good. The hazard switch was taken apart and cleaned, sanded, and put back together. I have power to the green/white wire at the hazard switch but i'm not getting power to the blinker flasher. Any thoughts would be great!!

• Like 1
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Turn the ignition on so the  turn signals can work and set to left or right. Now move the 4 way flasher slowly towards the ON position of the 4 way until the turn signal starts flashing and stop. This is a problem with the emergency 4 way flasher switch. When turning it to OFF the switch goes too far and disconnects the turn signals.. Try this and see if it helps.

Fuel gauge and the temperature gauge are powered form the same voltage regulator. So.. if the temperature gauge is also not working this is most likely the problem. However if only the fuel gauge is not working try this...

Go to the tank and unplug it. There is a Black wire and a Yellow/White stripe wire. It may be corroded away or broken or the wires after the plug are bad or corroded off the tank.

Ground the Yellow/White wire going back to the gauge and the gauge should read FULL.

If it reads FULL then the sender in the tank or the Black ground wire is bad. Make a new ground wire and try again.

If it still does not read, the Yellow/White wire back to the gauge or the gauge is bad.

Under the passenger seat is a 10 pin plug that connects the inside of the cab harness to the harness under the truck. Unplug and ground the Yellow/White wire going back to the gauge. If it reads FULL then the wire back to the tank is broken. If not then the problem is towards the dash or the gauge still. The harness under the truck is exposed to flying rocks and debris and with the reverse lights out this could be the problem. Another is a previous owner splicing into the under truck harness for a trailer and poorly done connections and water rot the connections..

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips!! Ive tried the hazard switch thing by slowly moving it and wiggling it around after i tore it apart and cleaned it, but it didnt work. My temp gauge,  now that you mentioned it, doesnt seem to move much at all. I just got the motor back in the truck and trying to work some bugs out. Everything worked before i pulled the motor but not so much now. im hoping that i dont have the pigtail plugged into the instrument cluster very well, after having the dash out. Im goin to pull it tomorrow and check it out, then ill def try your tips from there. Thank You so much

• Like 1

Ok....instrument cluster is plugged in good, grounded the Y/W wire under the seat and fuel gauge didnt move at all. My battery light is on when running and all dash backlights wok....can you explain to me what all is run off the voltage regulator? And im assuming that it located inside the housing of the alternator? 

If both gauges are not working then either the fuse or the 'voltage regulator' inside the gauges. It's unlikely both failed and likely something common like the power or the regulator.

There is a small 'voltage regulator' in the dash that produces about 8v for the temp and the gas gauges. The 8 volts is constant rather than the 12.6 when not running and 14.3 when charging. This allows the gauges to read the same at all times. I assume the early 720 is similar to the '83 and up older dashes. Look inside the gauge cluster for a very small white wire wound around a metal strip with a contact on the end....

owaYWWn.jpg

The current warms the bi metallic strip and it bends opening the contacts, they cool and re connect. Fold a thin strip of fine emery paper and draw it through the contacts to clean them. This usually fixes the problem.

sorry, just seen that you said inside the cluster....its been a long day and being a single dad makes rough work of tinkering on the truck....thank yall for your patience and help. ill take the gauge faces off and look once i get the kids fed and settled

The old '70-'72 521 the regulator was a plug in on the back. The 620 and 720 have it built into the gauges. Be sure the fuse is good first. Find another the same amperage and swap them if this fixes it then the fuse was bad. Never trust ANY fuse on looks.

• Like 1