1978 Datsun 620 L20b Rebuild

Caboose

Hey everyone,

I'm new here I bought my truck a month ago and it needs the bottom end rebuilt. I know there are no rebuild kits. I have no clue what all I need to do a rebuild? Sorry I know it's a noob question. I searched through the forms but didn't find any real answers.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It really depends on what the issue is, which likely requires a teardown. 

Engine kits can still be had for the L20B. You will want to be sure to get as good a quality kit you can find. I recommend using Nissan front and rear main seals no matter what kit you end up getting. 

Just now, ]2eDeYe said:

It really depends on what the issue is, which likely requires a teardown. 

Engine kits can still be had for the L20B. You will want to be sure to get as good a quality kit you can find. I recommend using Nissan front and rear main seals no matter what kit you end up getting. 

The last owner rebuilt the top end but not the bottom end. It's burning oil like crazy right now. It has 247k miles on it. So I am assuming the bottom end just needs to be completely rebuilt.

Tear it down and get it to a reputable machine shop. They will be able to measure the block up and make sure there are no cracks at the head bolts. 
They should also be able to get the parts you need or at least get you pointed in the right direction. 

My fee for this advice is pics of your new truck :)