Powerland 2021.(II) in the books

jbirds510

On 4/6/2020 at 8:54 AM, 68Datsun510 said:

NIIIIIICE! VG33S! Where in the heck did you find a saudi distributor!?

Thanks, it is coming along nicely.

The distributor has been with the car for many years awaiting the VG33 transplant and none of the previous owners can remember where it came from or who got it.

In trying to find out what it came from (searching by part number) i did find several for sale on ebay.

I have a project page here, title is: '72 510 Goon - Prova - because it will be a test

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am considering driving my 86 720 king cab up there with the new rebuilt Z20 and a low mileage 5 speed.  And since Wayno did not need the 3.33 MPH gear set, so I will most likely be running that.  Also have a new Weber 32/36 to put on it.  Hopefully this old truck will make it up there and back without any problems.

I drove it home from Battle Mountain Nevada to Tolleson AZ without a problem.  I towed a tandem axle U haul enclosed trailer full of Datsun and Nissan parts I had hoarded while I was up there for 2 years.  Before leaving I dropped off an 84 Nissan 720 regular cab at the only junk yard that I bought an lot of parts from.

It was fun driving my 86 720 back from Battle Mountain.  It was 10 mile an hour up hill and 85 on the flats.  That little engine purred all the way.

Looking forward to this meet.  Good times for all.

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 6
3 hours ago, wayno said:

That engine is a rev it high type engine, it's not going to have a lot of torque, especially with 3.3 gears in the rear, your going to have to keep your rpms up to take advantage of that engine, I wonder where the sweet spot is on the Z20?

Years ago my brother Garret and I put a Z20 5 speed in my 1970 521.  Also dropped in a 3.7 rear end gears and that with the Weber 32/36 DGEV brought that little truck alive.  The sweet spot on that one was about 4800 RPMs after about 5200 RPMs it started loosing power but sounded good.

• Like 3
18 hours ago, gene knight said:

anyone staying at hotels instead of the campsite?

I'm staying in Salem at the same place as last year. Very close and easy to get to. Relatively affordable (reservation made last year) and has free small breakfast.

Best Western Pacific Highway Inn
4646 Portland Road NE, Salem, OR, 97305
Edited by rosso
added details
  • Like 4
12 hours ago, gene knight said:

Seems to me about 70% or more have always left and stay elsewhere at night since I started going in 2011 . Even when it was at fairgrounds.. over the last few  years at fairgrounds , less people stay as Datsuns Canby/powerland owners seemed to have grown older , as Datsun have become a little more expensive a buy in for the early 20 somethings now.  Which is weird ,, lol 

a huge number do stay and become family in late night,, very early morning coffee arguments . 

the camping area at powerland is gigantic . 

Edited by bananahamuck
  • Like 2
12 hours ago, gene knight said:

Im too old to lay on the ground so Im gonna have my air mattress. camping was too enjoyable last year to miss this year. There are showers, water and electricity  at the venue so For me being a pretty budget minded guy Ill be putting hotel money toward the swap instead.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, jbirds510 said:

Im too old to lay on the ground so Im gonna have my air mattress. camping was too enjoyable last year to miss this year. There are showers, water and electricity  at the venue so For me being a pretty budget minded guy Ill be putting hotel money toward the swap instead.

If an air mattress and tent is still good for you - you are not old. Even the back of wagons or trucks is too much for the two of us anymore. The trip to the bathroom in the middle of the night is much easier in a motel. ☺️

• Like 3
  • jbirds510 changed the title to Powerland 2021.(II) in the books