Possible to id 720 transmission in truck?

Local jy sent me an alert that they had a 80 710 on the yard.  I assumed they meant 720 and yes, thats what it was.  I did not have a tape on me to measure and I refuse to borrow/loan tools at the junkyard.  I have some pics in my phone of the trans.  

Do the short tail and long tail trans mount up differently?  Or could a keen eye figure it out from where the trans ends figure it out?  If so, I will upload them.  If not, not worth the time.

Thanks

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 1980 Datsun 720 has a long shaft, the short shaft didn't appear till maybe late 1984???

Short shafts and long shafts have the same transmission mount location, the short shaft ends about 4 inches past the transmission mount, the long shaft ends closer to 9" past the transmission mount.

The short shafts came in 2wd 1985/86 Nissan regular cab/short box trucks with a speedo drive in them, the later 4wd trucks(84?) also had them but they had no speedo drive, but one must look at all of the 4wd trucks as the transmissions are the same except for the speedo drive.

Yes someone could have put a short shaft in a 1980 Datsun 720, but they would have had to change out the drive line also.