Transmission compatibility

Mike8199

Hey guys, been a while. Any way I'm in the middle of 3 linking my 83 720 4x4. And I'm thinking about changing my trans and tcase over to a d21s. Anyone know if trans from d21 will bolt up to my z24? I think some d21s came with z24s but will the ka versions also bolt up? Also would the inputs (splines) be the same?

• Like 1
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The D21 Hardbody has the transmission and the transfer case in one unit where the 720 is divorced and linked by a small drive shaft.

Yes, a KA24E or DE and the Z series engines have almost the exact same tilt so it will bolt up nicely. All input splines are the same @ 24

• Like 1
6 hours ago, datzenmike said:

The D21 Hardbody has the transmission and the transfer case in one unit where the 720 is divorced and linked by a small drive shaft.

Yes, a KA24E or DE and the Z series engines have almost the exact same tilt so it will bolt up nicely. All input splines are the same @ 24

Thanks Mike, glad to hear ittl bolt up and work together.  Plan is to ditch the t100 case from the 720 (still keeping it) and use the d21 tx10 case and double that to a Dana 300. But before I pulled the trigger on a case I wanted to confirm ka24e  had a compatible trans. 

• Like 1

The 71B and the D21's 71C are almost identical front cases. Both use the 240mm clutch but just to be sure keep your release bearing collar that goes with the clutch you are using now.

The D21 trans case front drive shaft is more offset to the left than the T100 but you're changing everything anyway. This will maybe be a tight tunnel fit.

• Like 1