410 E1 starter motor

DAT410

Hi all

Looking for some advice on replacement starter motor options, or at least starter solenoid replacement for my 410 (e1 motor, 3 speed manual)).

The solenoid has gone and need to replace, but the replacement ones on ebay (based in US) don't seem to look like mine. 

Rather than searching for a solenoid, has anyone replaced the whole starter motor with something newer? 

Thanks

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...

He needs the solenoid that is mounted on top of the starter housing, not a remote starter relay !  In retrospect, he may just have  a broken fork inside the main housing, not a problem with the coil per se.  A broken fork will jam the starter so that it will not pull in.  A fork from almost any NISSAN starter may fit.

I realize that this is an older thread and 'the water may be under the bridge', but this might help someone else needing to update the mid-late 1960's starter with integral solenoid for the pushrod engine. I've rebuilt a couple of these over past five years or so and parts are available out there if one is persistent. Some of these parts ( the solenoid and drive unit ) are common to some American starters. Here is a pic with some boxes including part numbers that might be cross-referenced. I picked up the two sets of British brushes out of Kuwait on US Ebay a couple years ago for pocket-change.

Floor-Shift-Starter-Solenoid.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hi all

Well after almost 12 months of having the starter work ok, it has now finally given up. Definitely is the solenoid that is the problem.

At the moment it is at an auto electrician, but they are having trouble finding a solenoid that fits. I have searched online and whilst there is a few listed as fitting, the picture shown doesn't look like the one in mine... 

Even the one in above photo (thanks for posting difrangia) doesn't look similar. The end of the 'shaft' that pushes the starter cog on mine has rectangular slot in it. Does the one in the photo (and also ones on ebay) have this, and the nut end is just a cover? 

Once I get it back from the shop will post some pics. 

Thanks

I would install a hot start relay just in case the key switch is weak.

one way to Check is put a wire on the selinoid tap and hit the + side battery and see if the selinoid hits harder and throw the bendix out and gets the starter going

I has this happen on my 521 and was swapping starters that would work for a week but O Riley’s said was good.I thought bullshit.but was a low voltage key switch.

Try that test and if still bad then it’s the selinoid

In search of a hot starter relay?  The automatic transmission version of the RL411 came with such a relay factory installed.  If by chance you come across the stripped carcass of such a RL411 pull the relay and refer to an appropriate wiring diagram for correct installation.  Should apply to the right hand drive R411 version also.