620 steering gear box leak

620crumudgeon

The steering gear box on my 620 is leaking from the front where a metal disk covers the worm gear bearing at the end of the steering shaft. Can the leak be stopped by cleaning the leak area and liberally applying JB Weld? Yes, it is a kludge of the first order, but I really don’t want to pull the steering gear box.

John

• Like 1
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, 620crumudgeon said:

The steering gear box on my 620 is leaking from the front where a metal disk covers the worm gear bearing at the end of the steering shaft. Can the leak be stopped by cleaning the leak area and liberally applying JB Weld? Yes, it is a kludge of the first order, but I really don’t want to pull the steering gear box.

John

Hogie and I were the ones looking at this with you today. I'm not sure if JB weld would do it. It's might? I'm a stickler for doing it right, but it does look like a pain to pull that box. 

Also can confirm it doesn't appear to be leaking at the lower sector shaft seal. Does indeed look to be leaking at the "freeze plug" looking thing on the face towards the front of the truck.

• Like 1

It's dome shaped and set in place by striking the center with a hammer. This expands it tightly in place. Old core plugs used to be like this also. You could try giving it another smack.  JB would do it. It's not under any pressure so as long as thoroughly de-greased even RTV would work.

• Like 1