L20b stress mark on block!

Hello everyone, this is my first post on Ratsun and I have a question I'm hoping to get some advice on. 

I have a 1976 620 with a l20b, one of the connecting rods caps fell off and seized the engine. I took the engine and trans out to see the damage and rebuild the engine but I just noticed a stress mark/ crack on the outside of the block. The crack doesn't actually go through the block so it will still hold fluids. I am not sure if I should use this block or find a new one to rebuild?

Thanks for the help in advanced. 

IMG-5494.jpg

IMG-5496.jpg

IMG-5499.jpg

IMG-5500.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rod caps don't come off unless it was apart and put together wrong. Seen engine come apart because a bolt was overlooked and wasn't tightened. It would have made a lot of noise first, more than enough to tell the driver something was going to happen.

Anyway, all that's cracked is the side of the block vent. Doesn't retain any coolant just seals in fumes and oil mist. Clean and degrease it, then grind a rough surface on both sides and JB weld it.

Maybe that was the situation, I bought the truck about a year ago and it was salvaged. Not sure if the previous owner rebuilt it or not. It did start making a knocking noise and I thought I can make it home since I was a few min away. As you can tell I didn't make it home lol. Big mistake I should have stopped!! Will that be a weak point that can lead to further cracking in the future even if I JB Weld it? I would rather do it right then have to pull the engine again but if it isn't that big of a deal I wouldn't mind JB Welding and moving on. 

In agreeance with the above. Try to find a new block. This could be stitched together and be okay for a stock non run hard application. Even if it was stockish if i was planning on beating on it this would be a reject.   Seeing that your in cali, theres no shortage of l20b’s there. Unless its a concourse legit numbers matter resto i wouldnt use this block.

Thanks for everyone's feedback, I'm going to take the safe route and find a new one. I was actually texting with the guy from the CL add Wayno mentioned. I also found a fully rebuilt short block for $1000 by California Datsun. Depending on how much I can score the parts for It might be more convenient to buy it from them already built. 

Thanks again!

Yeah, hard no on using that block. Why sink money into a known faulty part?

I am surprised that more people don't know about http://www.car-part.com/. I use this website a ton, and it has never failed me. It is a database of all wrecking yards around the country and they need to be held to a standard to be listed on the site. Try looking for an L20B there.

I have never dealt with CA Datsun, but a lot of guys here on Ratsun absolutely despise that shop. The again, a lot of guys here hate Rebello Racing and Troy Ermish, both of which I trust emphatically.

For $1000, does CA Datsun give you any kind of warranty?