My "New" 1985 Nissan 720

stollman18

Hello everyone! 

This is the first forum I have ever posted in, but have been lurking for awhile now. I just bought an 85 Nissan 720 at the end of April and have been slowly working on it. It is originally from Arizona, so it is a pretty clean truck. I have only had a few set back thus far. I grazed a deer with it just a few weeks after I bought it. The drivers side marker was completely gone, but was only $41 on eBay for both sides. I have got rims and tires on it and next I plan to lower it. I will work on getting some pictures inserted. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool truck!  I like those little lights in the bumper! 🙂  A lot of deer around here too. 😉

I just picked up a 1985 King Cab 4X4.  Still trying to get it running.  Super complex elec-feedback carburetor with high altitude compensator.  WTF was Nissan thinking?! :")  It also had the wrong carb on it to begin with and very tough to find the right parts these days. 🙂  

I'll post some pics when I get it running! 🙂

• Like 1

Any drop or lift will mess with the toe. By eye line up one of the front wheels with the rear behind it. Now look at the other side if you can see it's different then it most likely needs adjusting. It's very subtle but will wear the tires away over time. If toed out it will not track down the road properly and 'hunt' for the lane. Toed in and it's dangerous in the rain and steers funny in town on turns. Most vehicles have a minute amount of toe in but barely noticeable to look at.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Any drop or lift will mess with the toe. By eye line up one of the front wheels with the rear behind it. Now look at the other side if you can see it's different then it most likely needs adjusting. It's very subtle but will wear the tires away over time. If toed out it will not track down the road properly and 'hunt' for the lane. Toed in and it's dangerous in the rain and steers funny in town on turns. Most vehicles have a minute amount of toe in but barely noticeable to look at.

Thanks for the information, I just meant ride wise. I have heard of it being quite a bit less comfortable to ride with just the torsion bars cranked. My plan was to just see how it was and get drop spindles if necessary. 

• Like 1

Drop spindles make you run a larger diameter wheel.  The proper way to drop the front of these trucks is to re index the torsion bars.  When you loosen the torsion bars as you have done you change the dynamics of the front suspension.  It would be a safety issue not to have a front end alignment done.

Did you do anything to correct the pinion angle after lowering the rear of your truck?

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 1
12 minutes ago, Charlie69 said:

Drop spindles make you run a larger diameter wheel.  The proper way to drop the front of these trucks is to re index the torsion bars.  When you loosen the torsion bars as you have done you change the dynamics of the front suspension.  It would be a safety issue to have a front end alignment done.

Did you do anything to correct the pinion angle after lowering the rear of your truck?

The blocks I bought were supposed to correct any pinion angle difference. Visually, it looked correct. 

• Like 1

If the blocks had a degreed slant to them you should be OK on the pinion angle.  If the blocks had no slant then you need to get the appropriate degree wedges and install them.

The package or the paper work that came with the blocks should say what degree the blocks have cast or machined into them.

I myself cannot look at a driveline and tell if both angles are the same.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Charlie69 said:

If the blocks had a degreed slant to them you should be OK on the pinion angle.  If the blocks had no slant then you need to get the appropriate degree wedges and install them.

The package or the paper work that came with the blocks should say what degree the blocks have cast or machined into them.

I myself cannot look at a driveline and tell if both angles are the same.

They are cast to have a 2 degree angle to them. What did you mean by "It would be a safety issue to have a front end alignment done?" Also if I am no where near the end of the threads on the torsion bar adjustment. How would I know where the suspension angles are correct?

• Like 1

I meant not to have an alignment done would be a safety issue.  The safety issue is by loosening your torsion bars you changed the angles (dynamics) of the front suspension.  When you did this the truck will steer different and react different with the varying road surfaces.  What needs to be done anytime there is a change in these angles is to have a front end alignment done to correct the angles so the truck will drive and handle in a safe manner.

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 2
9 minutes ago, Charlie69 said:

I meant not to have an alignment done would be a safety issue.  The safety issue is by loosening your torsion bars you changed the angles (dynamics) of the front suspension.  When you did this the truck will steer different and react different with the varying road surfaces.  What needs to be done anytime there is a change in these angles is to have a front end alignment done to correct the angles so the truck will drive and handle in a safe manner.

Okay, that is what I thought. Thank you!

• Like 1

You are welcome.

I have a 1980 720 chassis under my 66 520 that I have BellTech drop spindles on.  There are cheap spindles out there but I chose the Belltechs because I found the in a wrecking yard used for $80.

Be safe.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...