Datsun 521 keeps breaking down help

Kaden woods

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First, use punctuation. I know it's Ratsun, but some of us are civilized. 

Describe "breaking down." Does it die on you going down the road? Won't start? 

How do you know the coil is bad?

There's no coil on the distributor. Do you mean points?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
45 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

he's either killing the points or coil(point coil) by not running a ballast resister 

Be honest if he ran no ballast with point he isn't going to make it down the street as the points would just arch out.

No ballast and feel if coil is HOT!!!!!!!!

I had a points coil explode on me before because I swapped to pertronix and removed the ballasts resistor..... 

It was in the morning and still dark so I got huge flame that shot out from the front tire well.... proceeded by the engine dieing.....

Definitely make sure the setup is correct for the application.... 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, mainer311 said:

First, use punctuation. I know it's Ratsun, but some of us are civilized. 

Describe "breaking down." Does it die on you going down the road? Won't start? 

How do you know the coil is bad?

There's no coil on the distributor. Do you mean points?

I don’t have pictures of it and it’s the ignition condenser coil I’ll go down the road and it shits out on me and won’t start back up it just dies 

• Like 1

we call it a condenser ,not a coil.

is it grounded good  screws tight?

is this dual points? the bigger condenser is the main set of points. replace it and make sure you have stock point coil and a ballast resisitor(white ceramic block)

Like I said ck if the coil gets HOT when this is happening

This is a simple fix.

Was truck ever running good for period of time?

Did this do this recently or ever since you had the vehicle, was something changed?

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

we call it a condenser ,not a coil.

is it grounded good  screws tight?

is this dual points? the bigger condenser is the main set of points. replace it and make sure you have stock point coil and a ballast resisitor(white ceramic block)

Like I said ck if the coil gets HOT when this is happening

This is a simple fix.

Was truck ever running good for period of time?

Did this do this recently or ever since you had the vehicle, was something changed?

Thank you I’ve been call them coils for a while and yeas the ground is good and tight and I’ll check the points tomorrow morning and it ran good till I got home and then it just sat and head issues ever since then

• Like 1

your talking in CODE . I don't have a Enigma machine to decipher .

Now head issues.

If was working then goes bad you said the condensors are going bad. then replacing fixes it. So its the condenser right?. That's your orginal question.

But you have other issues I think.

To a novice POINTS ignition might be proplematic as a worn distributor (springs broke ,worn bushing, dual points not gapped right ect ) all compound the issue.

Maybe head needs valve adjusted ect.

tell us more and we can walk you threw this. If close by I could come over and ck out real quick, but you have to live close by I'm in Covington.

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 1

It’s hard teaching someone online about ignition if they don’t know what they’re looking at.  Kid needs to get help from someone local.

If he has a 75 Camaro too, maybe he knows his way around. 

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 1

Sorry for not replying I just replaced the ignition coil the distributor and ignition condenser and put new gas in it she fired right up I haven’t taken her down the road yet to see if she’s gonna drive or if the condensers gonna blow agin but I’m gonna find out tomorrow still gotta tune the carb in a little 

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

It is nice to get updates. That way we know our help wasn't in vain. And we also know that another Datsun is in the process of being revived, not letting to rot.

In addition someone, possibly far in the future, can run a search for a similar problem, read this post and learn from this what worked or didn't. 

• Like 3