Power steering rack for 620

Benzfixen

I'm building a 1974 620 pickup with a s13 sr20det I've also done a conversion for a Watts link 5 point rear suspension setup with adjustable coilovers front and rear. For spindles I'm running 95 d21 fronts that I've swapped sides to make it front steer does anyone have any suggestions for a power steering rack?

• Like 2
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been eyeing the Mustang-II front suspension mod kits offered by Speedway motors, as an alternate to the stock 620 front suspensions.

This is a common up-grade to old school hot rods, like 32 fords, and 53 chevy trucks.

You will loose the 6-bolt hubs, unless can come up with something that can be adapted,

or just go to 5-lug rear axles form an old Cedric on the rear. Haven't tried that yet, as the cost of bringing a set over from Japan is rather expensive.

Maybe just look at the Mustang-II power steering rack it's self.

You will like the Watts link. My 620 absolutely lost the loose rear end after going to this.

I mounted my Watts locker on the bottom of the diff, as that gives the lowest possible roll center.

• Like 2
  • 9 months later...

I have an extra Mustang II rack that I mocked-up under the truck...it would take a lot of fabrication to install. It might be easier to find a power steering gearbox from something else close to the original configuration and then fab & modify.

• Like 1

I used a '79 280zx power steering box by turning the pitman arm 180. The pitman arm IS the one from the 620 so fits the steering geometry perfectly. It almost fits the frame bolt holes ... today I would do a better job. I used a 720 steering column but again, today with a welder I would do better and keep the 620 column.

The pump doesn't matter much as the SR probably has that already. I used one from a D21. They have the fender mounter reservoir so there was more room under the distributor for a home made mount where the block is drilled for an air pump or AC mount. 

• Like 2