1978 Datsun 510 suspension

I recently bought my first Datsun a 1978 datsun 510. I have come to love the Datsun community. I'm trying to know what's the best way to go as far as suspension? I want to lower the car about 2" please help with the best solution. What parts are interchangeable with the 1978. Thanks in advance for all the help.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What you have is an A10 or call it an HL510 to differentiate it from the much earlier PL510 of the late '60s and early '70s. They are in no way connected except by manufacturer and '510' badges.

Well the rear axle is sprung with coils so you could cut them down. An interesting thing about springs is that they get stiffer as they get shorter, something that is a good idea when lowering to prevent bottoming out on the road. Take small sections out and test fit and work your way down to 2". Once cut you can't put it back. Be aware that when cut down you will have to live with the firmness and it may be more than you want.

The front struts generally are replaced with those from a 280zx which are already an inch or two shorter. You have to modify them to fit your narrower front coils onto them.

A list of interchangeable parts would fill pages. It would be easier to ask a specific question about a part. 

• Like 1

Also on the cut spring thing.

Yes, as the coil gets shorter, it gets stiffer (higher spring rate), and because of this you should also go to stiffer shocks, as shocks should match what spring rate you are running.

Otherwise the car will start the ghetto-mobile pogo-stick dance....

On 6/4/2019 at 6:06 AM, datzenmike said:

What you have is an A1

Post that pic story with the spring board thing showing strut breakdown,,  it's quite informational if you're a new guy..

For what it's worth,, I used a "real" compressor but the info is still valid.

ps

You probably got weird request as i wasn't logged in . 

ncJaan2.jpg

The back yard trebouchet? Five gallons of frozen water in the counter balance pail. I used this to compress the spring so I could undo the nut. Later I found you can just brace the strut against something solid so the spring pushes the entire strut, caliper and rotor away from you when the nut is removed. It seems dangerous but it only jumps out about a meter along the ground. If you are doing this conversion you don't need it to assemble.

Yes the 280ZX front struts are a GREAT option.  Yes, the 68-73 510 upper adjustable camber plates will fit if you decide to go with coilover springs up front.  Keep in mind there are ALWAYS smaller fabrication issues, but these ^^^^ are the BIG ones to tackle, to get you started!

TJ