Introducing my 81 Datsun 720 Dually Pickup!

DuallyDatsun

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It may look better in person, but in the photo that black below the body line looks strange, makes it look like nothing is there.

I would also paint the front valance black below the bumper.

I like arm rests for both my arms, you certainly have that covered.

Them are some freeway unfriendly gears you have in the rear if they are still in there, but if it is a work truck that is great for around town, but if you spend a lot of time on the freeway I would think about changing them to a more Z22 friendly gearset, the napZ blocks/engines just aren't high rpm engines, they like it below 4000rpms.

• Like 1

The thing cruises around 70mph@3000rpm in 5th, which is nice and all I really need.

I drove my 84 720 13 hours up to Portland  and the 13 hours home at around 75-80mph average and it took it like a champ. Despite having around 250,000 miles.

I plan on repainting the whole truck that stock silver color eventually, and yeah, getting rid of that weird black stripe. I don't care for it. It doesn't look any better in person.

• Like 1

I think(my opinion) that the Z24 sounds over revved above 4000rpms, but you have a Z22 and that block is different, I have never been in a Z22 powered 720 that ran so I don't know what they sound like, I have a LZ23 but that is a Z22 block with an L head on it, so it is more like an L20b, but they start sounding over revved at around 4500rpms, but that is going thru the gears, not in 5th gear going down the freeway, I have had my work truck up to 5500rpms in 5th gear and it didn't sound that bad, but it sounds terrible in any other gear.

• Like 1

I've never been one to shy away from higher revs and redlines. My cruising limit is usually 1500-2k under whatever redline is on my cars/trucks, though. In 20 years I've never popped an engine, so I guess I'm not being too hard on them. My 84 720 is this one. It obviously has the Z24

x9hTnuD.jpg

I drove it, with the trailer, both loaded, from SLC to Portland averaging around 75mph the whole way. It was a little screamy, but never once gave me issue, nor on the trip back. or since. I don't have a working tach in this one, but it definitely was a little higher than what the dually was doing at the same speed.

• Like 3

I've been lucky when coming across truck shells. The silver one on the dually was with it when I bought it. The blue one on the trailer was on it when I bought it. And the black one on my 84 I got from a friend, who bought a truck that already had it on it, and didn't want the shell, and gave it to me. I do have an aluminum one that's a little beat up, but I don't use it anymore. Found that one for $80 in local classifieds. It was about a 90% good fit. A tiny bit of overhang, and the window between the cab sat a couple inches low. But a good shell, regardless.uLejDII.jpg

I'm not using that one anymore. It just sits in my backyard.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...