Engine washing Question

canon3383

My 1985 KC 2 wd with z24, I put oil in it last night and forgot to put the oil filler cap on, after I drove it to work (2 miles) I saw smoke coming out under the hood, and discovered my error. I was wanting to clean the engine bay anyway but now I have to. What it recommended for me to do? I want to take him to a car wash but I'm unsure of what I can't wash. I am not going to take the air filter cover as the oil is only sprayed on the top of everything.

https://imgur.com/6jfsAuY

• Like 1
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6jfsAuY.jpg

Power washing could force water somewhere and leave you stranded. I see from the picture that this is a minor mist of oil. I would get a 'green' de-greaser spray bottle and coat the engine and rinse with a garden hose. Later when dry, you may notice missed spots or parts that didn't completely clean and this you can cover with several more applications. 

I power wash in the driveway on a warmed engine to speed drying. Just don't spray directly at the coil or distributor. This is for caked on oily dirt and once is never enough. Days later I notice a missed area. If at home definitely wear rain gear and boots. Eye protection will allow you to really get in there.

• Like 1

I was worried about getting the water where it shouldn't go, I'll do that. Some oil got on the exhaust manifold and it made it smoke real bad.

Lesson learned.

I still can't get pics to post correctly, the ctrl V did put the link on the page, but not the pic.

• Like 1

Generally, engine design includes some protection and resistance to outside elements like rain and splashing water. If your distributor cap and wires are in good shape hosing them down shouldn't' cause a problem.  Do they still sell 'Engine Shampoo'??

• Like 1

Super Clean or Purple Power are my favorite cleaners. They work well just by themselves, better yet with a bit of scrubbing with a soft brush. better still when pressure washed off.

You can pressure wash any engine bay. Just steer clear of items that you know may cause you problems, like the distributor cap, carburetor, etc.

• Like 1