521 choking on steep hills

Jacob

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

I looked up the fuelpump those Carter clones from Rockauto look like stock. I'm sure they are Chinese made but hell buy 2 or 3 at 18$ apc before the Tarriffs go up on those.

Carry the Chinese spare pump in truck with a Harbor freight 12mm and your good.

I'm running one and it's fine. At least for now. 

The stock mounting location for the filter is on the passenger fender. Looks like someone moved yours to the battery brace. Any filter will work, just pay attention to inlet/outlet and don't kink anything. Also, those red/blue things are fancy, but probably don't work worth a darn. Invest in some real fuel hose clamps that look like this:

5189ccc9bb5bc742dd09a340964743d9.jpg?v=1

They're spendy, but original:

https://zcardepot.com/products/fuel-line-wire-hose-clamp-oem-240z-260z

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 1
On 5/30/2019 at 8:20 AM, Jacob said:

Hi everyone I just purchased a 521 and it was doing great on flat and small hills. I took it up a steep hill that was about a half mile long, and it acted like it was going to die. Seemed like it wasn’t getting enough fuel or air. Also when it idles it has a mild to strong gas smell. Not sure if that has anything to do with the loss of power to almost dying. The truck was kinda bucking “lack of a better word,” when it was going up the steep hill. Please help!

thanks, 

Jacob

If you are using a Weber carb, It is possible that the high angle on some hills is causing fuel from the carb bowl to spill into the air horn.  There is an article on Weber carb modification to help alleviate this. 

http://www.lcengineering.com/LCNewsletter/2014/NOVEMBER/weberCRAWL_TECHNOTE.html

• Like 1

I think this would be more for severe rock crawling conditions than the street or more would have this problem.

The gas smell is likely the valve cover vent is not connected to the air filter and blow by is getting into the engine compartment. OR...

On 6/3/2019 at 1:37 PM, Jacob said:

Here is my leaky fuel pump that’s getting replaced soon. New ones in the mail.

https://imgur.com/a/XGCe57n

• Like 1

So I’ve changed the fuel filter, fuel pump, no success with the truck bucking when I push the accelerator to full throttle. ( maybe a little less than full). I did however smell the oil from the dip stick and it smelled like gas, so I’m changing that tomorrow. Would gas in the oil cause it the truck to behave this way? If it’s not that I’m going to take it in and have it inspected.

• Like 1

Most oil probably smells of some gas. Excessive smell can be from excessive choke on, dirty air filter, carburetor flooding from too much fuel pressure or float set too high.... even poor ignition. All will allow too much unburned gas past the rings and into the oil.

Still don't know what carb you have. Does it have a glass window on the front? When running where is the fuel level on it? Should be at the line. 

• Like 1

Right. Not the stock carburetor so can't help you there.

Make sure the block off plate isn't leaking air in.

56 minutes ago, Jacob said:

Also I think it might have something to do with the carb biting to much oil.

https://imgur.com/a/GshA6rc

Biting too much oil? What do you mean?

• Like 1

I meant burning to much oil sorry.

what does a timing light do?

And is there a video or article on how to time it?

sorry for all the questions still a noob at this kind of repairs. I’ll check to see if the carb is open when warmed up as well when I get off work.

• Like 1

what does a timing light do?  sets the ignition timming so the spark goes at the correct time.

get a light and watch you tube and get a Datsun manual.

these old rigs require a lot of work. Maybe your getting over your head here. With what I have gone thru with my 521 it would have been sent to the junkyard 10 times if another owner had this.

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

The leaking fuel pump does not explain the gas in the oil.  The carb needs rebuilt to stop the flow of extra gas into the engine.

Is this a stock carb?  Is it a mechanical stock fuel pump?

Mechanical fuel pumps will leak gas directly into the head if the diaphragm has a hole in it.

• Like 1