Madkaw

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, WestPac720 said:

I’m only getting voltage coming from the blue wire at the relay side.

So It might not be activating....

Try this make a couple jumper wires so you can manually activate the relay in the truck.... plug the blue and red into the stock wiring and jump the power and ground to activate the relay.... see what happens....

2 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

Try this make a couple jumper wires so you can manually activate the relay in the truck.... plug the blue and red into the stock wiring and jump the power and ground to activate the relay.... see what happens....

I will give this a shot in a couple hours since it’s still dark outside. Also just so we’re clear, I did jump the two wires before without the relay and I got the 12v I needed at the compressor line. I totally understand what you are saying though.

8 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Heres the setup with the relay installed. I’m only getting 12v at the blue wire. The relay works because once I turn the fan switch I could here the relay “click”. Is the relay suppose to work when the fan switch is on without the AC switch activated? I’m also curious with the current setup of the thermo switch. The only line to the compressor is still at a low 7v.264A5C0B-7313-42C5-B230-88F58866C306.thumb.jpeg.df0affcf276ea88d4128641a07ef36cb.jpeg

Just now, WestPac720 said:

Heres the setup with the relay installed. I’m only getting 12v at the blue wire. The relay works because once I turn the fan switch I could here the relay “click”. Is the relay suppose to work when the fan switch is on without the AC switch activated? I’m also curious with the current setup of the thermo switch. The only line to the compressor is still at a low 7v.264A5C0B-7313-42C5-B230-88F58866C306.thumb.jpeg.df0affcf276ea88d4128641a07ef36cb.jpeg

Is the relay metal housing also suppose to be grounded to something?

• Like 1

So have you substituted the ground wire that activates the relay . You have bypassed the relay and know that gets you power at the compressor . It has to be something with the relay . There isn’t many grounds with these harnesses , so you shouldn’t miss any . I thought there was a black chassis ground in that area . If you make your own ground and connect it to the relay does that help . 
I’ve seen relays activate but output lower voltages because of improper grounds 

• Like 1

If I’m not mistaken, based on the diagram provided on the FSM, I believe the red/green wire at the AC relay serves as the ground. This wire also provides ground to the AC indicator light and the AC fan switch. I do see a body ground on the diagram but I’ll have to see if I can locate it. I also recall a ground wire to the metal bracket of the evap housing but not sure what purpose that serves. Would you by any chance have photos of your setup (AC relay and themo switch) after it was completed? 5C980551-B6BF-49D8-B619-558D36FC94CE.thumb.jpeg.3b8d7612936fb967b5b656b597def2f9.jpeg

A weak ground will prevent full voltage so you need to make sure all are good . I’ve read that these trucks don’t like external grounds, they only like the original grounds in the harness . I swear there was a big ground right in that area 

Do you have this all put back together? I don’t think you do, but didn’t want to assume. The reason I asked, is because on my ‘85 there is a ground wire running to my evaporator box. Could that be the ground you’re missing? I’m sorry I can’t see where it goes.

9EC3D391-92E1-4AA2-BE0A-19A1AD464D9F.jpeg

So I finally was able to pull the stock thermo switch from evaporator box. Here is how the connect looks. No where in the FSM does the wiring diagram talk about the wire colors going into the the thermo switch. The four pin plug at the end is what was initially connected to where the AC relay would go (assumingly for non AC models).D99EE901-F690-4273-BEDF-0F044F8E01FB.thumb.jpeg.bd44cc6bf3cceac22b9aa220747e4860.jpeg