CARB ISSUES

Bkcris13

I have a stock carb with no air cleaner on it. I’ve finally got it started but running at an extremely high idle. Mixing screw is back out all the way. Vacuum lines aren’t 100% sure if they’re correct but the pictures in the book or online do me no justice with everything having an air cleaner and I don’t. 

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A2-D65-AEE-5-DDC-40-C5-973-F-F07736-DB0-

Fast idle when the engine is warm?? It's normal for a cold engine to have a fast idle when the choke is on.

There should be an electrical connector at the rear right of carb.. how many wires??

I see the PCV valve is there but no hose on it. It will run without it, but will run better in the long run with it. Same with the air filter housing, try to find one.

8-BB10-AAB-2-AC0-4-E16-B247-B0-E2-ABE6-F

The brass fitting lower right @ about 4:00 o'clock needs plugging.

The round 6 wire connector is for the ECC. (electronic controlled carburetor) It has a solenoid primary jet that varies it's open and closed state to adjust the mixture for best running and economy. To work properly, you need the O2 sensor in the exhaust manifold (you don't have) for feedback to the ECU under the driver's seat. The ECU calculates the mixture needed and adjusts the solenoid. Without the Osensor or any generalized system failure it reverts to an over rich 'limp home' mode. Terrible mileage and performance. This will be a nightmare to get running properly if at all.  

A regular Z24 carburetor would be the best bet or a new Weber.

California and maybe Arizona states require the ECC carburetor because of it's lower emissions and leaner fuel mixtures. In a way it half way between a carburetor and EFI. It uses electronics to adjust the fuel mixture as you drive. A regular carburetor is set and not adjustable. So you can try to find another ECC set up to replace the missing parts or perhaps another out of state Z24 carburetor or replace with a new Weber 32/36, about $300. What you'll do is remove the ECC carburetor and disconnect the ecu control altogether and replace it.

• Like 1

I pass AZ emissions every 2 years with my Weber.  If I fail I replace the CAT and retest.  I have been emision testing it since I got back from Northern Nevada Christmas of 2012.

Will not pass Cal emisions but this is one reason I do not live in Cal. I visit every year at least once.