Any info on an awd swap?

Montrese04.0

First and foremost thanks for reading this long post 

Found a 620 with utility bed. Cant tell if it's a drw (dually) or not. Anyways I like how low the truck sits as a 2wd unit. Just curious if there was an engine/suspension setup that could net me an awd setup and keep the vehicle relatively low to the ground. 

I understand with fabrication it might be easier to go with a 4x4 720 and c notch the front and rear of the frame. But I'm not into the "bagged life". Therfore my know how of that is extremely limited at this moment. 

*side note* truck would be used as a rd side service rig 

• Like 1
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at the engine tag on the right inner fender just below he hood hinge. If it's a Cab/Chassis it will start with E as in ELH 720 XXXXXThe Cab.Chassis option only came in 2wd so you would have to convert it for 4wd. Not a lot of sense having 4wd and lowered that much. A 2wd with better tires and 4x4 rear springs will do. Maybe a dual tire axle swapped on. 

• Like 2

@Datzenmike

I'm pretty positive it's a c/c (cab and chassis). I'd haft to wait for the current owner to hit me back to get that info. Also I dont need the truck to be "as" low as it currently sits but if its converted to 4wd it usually involves a SAS which I fear may lift the truck like 8 inches from it's current state.  I could be exaggerating but I know ABSOLUTELY nothing about these trucks. I'm in need/favor of the awd/4wd because of the winter months.

@ducky

Doesnt seem cost effective unfortunately.  Also I'm unsure of the weight capabilities of a Subaru engine. I'd have a whole 1200+ lbs of tools in the box alone. Hence the need for the drw setup. 

• Like 1

My son has a Subaru WRX STI with all wheel drive (you could switch to 4WD also). Between all wheel drive, super wide tires (I think they are stock with that particular vehicle), and a very stiff suspension it will corner like it is glued to tracks. So much so that if you are not used to it you will be scared of sliding and crashing. I don't know what all wheel drive that doesn't have super wide tires or as stiff of a suspension will do, but I would think it would still corner better than most 2WD vehicles. Also, I don't know how hard, or difficult, it would be to put all wheel drive in a 620. 

26 minutes ago, Montrese04.0 said:

Doesn't seem cost effective unfortunately.  Also I'm unsure of the weight capabilities of a Subaru engine. I'd have a whole 1200+ lbs of tools in the box alone. Hence the need for the drw setup. 

All wheel drive is most likely not cost effective, but 4WD (like came stock) with Datsun/Nissan (not SAS) should be. It might be even more cost effective to find a 720 series that was a stock 4WD instead of what you are looking at right now. Modifying a stock 4WD vehicle to haul tools should be much less expensive, and more cost effective. I have a full size 4WD pickup (not the first one for me), so I do have experience with 4WD, and I do occasionally use it to haul tools (or firewood) around. They are harder on fuel than a stock 2WD, but the trade off is worth having it around for those times when 4WD is needed. 

Don

• Like 1

If you're limited on skills and fab work, then converting a truck to AWD to use as a work truck probably will never happen.

TO me it seems like going with what came from the factory seems to be the easiest to set up and maintain. Use a stock 720 4x4 frame and drivetrain. Doing a custom install of a 620 body onto the frame and simply shortening the frame a little would probably not be all that difficult. Once it is complete, then you can maintain it just like a normal 720 4x4 aside from a different length rear driveshaft.

There are ways to lower the stock 4x4 trucks a little without going as far as c-notch and bags.

Post some pictures of what you've got right now when you are able.

• Like 1

I am putting a 620 cab onto a 1982 long wheel base frame. I'm busy with other stuff now so this swap is temporarily at a stand still. But, what I have found so far is that the cab mounting points for a 620 King Cab and a 720 King Cab are the same on the long wheel base frame. Measurements for a standard 620 bed mounts and the mounts on the long bed 720 frame seem to be the same. The big question currently is how much gap will be between the King Cab and the standard bed when on the 720 long wheel base frame. I don't think it will be much different than the stock gap going by my measurements.

The reason I'm going with the 720 frame is that it is set up already for diesel and disc brakes, and I am going to be using an SD-22 diesel motor and transmission (different placement of the motor mounts). Also, the steering gear box and idler arm are outside the frame (620 are inside the frame taking up part of the space), leaving more space for extra stuff hanging on the side of the motor (most likely AC, and maybe power steering).

As far as the OP is concerned, finding a stock 4 X 4 720, and modifying it to carry his tools, will be the most the most cost effective. However, if he finds a 720 4 X 4 frame and a 620 body the swap will be easier than putting AWD into a 620.

Don

Edited by 620slodat
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, Montrese04.0 said:

@ducky

Doesnt seem cost effective unfortunately.  Also I'm unsure of the weight capabilities of a Subaru engine. I'd have a whole 1200+ lbs of tools in the box alone. Hence the need for the drw setup. 

I just googled some specs, and assuming what you're looking for has an l20b, the subie ej205 engine makes ~30 more hp and ~70 more ft-lbs of torque, so really it might even be better suited lol. I bought a used JDM longblock for only 800 with free shipping

The two front box mounts on the long bed frame have to be moved back about 10 inches to work with the King Cab ahead of it. I've done this. 

1,200 pound is 100 pounds over the load limit. A Cab Chassis can handle 1,500 but when you add a utility box this drops like a stone. Four by four are rated slightly higher than 2wd.

A Subaru engine is not going to fit a Datsun truck engine bay.

9 hours ago, Bleach said:

Post some pictures of what you've got right now when you are able.

It will not allow me to post the FB url for some  reason

@620slodat

that seems like the way most people are telling me to lean to. I would need to see how high a 720 4x4 sits in person though. B/c in pics they look pretty high. 

Also @620slodat I like that your going with a diesel. I'm a emergency rd side heavy duty tractor and trailer mechanic so I'm always about that diesel life. 

@datzenmike it's been proven the 4.2L SBC will fit correct? If so, would it be realistic to use the awd trailblazer setup? At first thought would the trans be too big for firewall clearance? 

A V6 620 made into 4wd and capable of at least 1,200 pound payload is not really feasible. I converted my '78 620 to 4wd and it weighed 3,400. Add a V6 and a utility box and 1,200 pounds of tools and you are most likely illegally over weight. I tried to find the GVW for an old Datsun but no luck.

• Like 1

I do love the idea of an AWD Datsun truck, but man...finding the right drivetrain for your specific requirements is going to be challenging.

If you have fab skills, why not use a D21 drivetrain (trans, t-case and front drive setup) and modify it for ride height? It may sound totally crazy, but I'm sure you could find a shop willing and able to make you some custom uprights with a dropped ride height. They don't have to be forged or even billet. They could be made out of mild steel. Assuming they are drawn up in CAD first by someone who knows how to do these things. I'm thinking Jesse Haines in Reno would be a good guy to contact for this. He knows a shit ton about offroad fabrication and has the skills to do this.