Immediately fouled plugs?

Mysta2

In the carb on my '62 Ranchero the accelerator pump squirt was above the  plainly visible with the filter off.

In this carb, I cannot see it. should I be able to? Can you see the last video that I posted? I'm assuming that it would squirt out of the bottom of those two rings in there.

I know that pulling the choke lever closes the choke. But you made it sound as if the "choke flap" would close after the first accelerator pump. Or did you simply mean that I needed to close the choke (manually) after pumping to increase the chance of a successful start?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Mysta2 said:

In the carb on my '62 Ranchero the accelerator pump squirt was above the  plainly visible with the filter off.

In this carb, I cannot see it. should I be able to? Can you see the last video that I posted? I'm assuming that it would squirt out of the bottom of those two rings in there.

I know that pulling the choke lever closes the choke. But you made it sound as if the "choke flap" would close after the first accelerator pump. Or did you simply mean that I needed to close the choke (manually) after pumping to increase the chance of a successful start?

I think Mike forgot it was a manual choke.

Yes, you should see the fuel squirt down the barrel. I was waiting for this. If it has been sitting for a while, the accelerator pump diaphragm could be brittle and torn, or the circuit could be clogged.  Start by removing the pump diaphragm to inspect it.

I don't get the fuel pump switch thing???? WHY?????

I like the key turing on fuel pump on as it should be.

READ THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh I don't see gas being squirted in.Either the pump isn't pumping fuel to the carb or the needle valve in carb isn't letting gas in the bowl. or the accel pump diaprame is bad.  A diaphrame bad most lilkely will leak on the side of of the square looking fiting which pushes it in. It will have 4 screws.

also. you hit the carb so fast the main barrel should be on the valve cover side. that where the squirt will come from.. Unless this is a different carb carb where the main barrel is on the driver side. Usually for the French cars that I have seen. Not that it matters

PS that fuel pumps sound like shit. They shouldn't be that loud I would think

since I saw a photo the choke flap is closed cause you have pulled the wire to close it. as motor warms up you push the choke back in to open the flap

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
12 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

I don't get the fuel pump switch thing???? WHY?????

I like the key turing on fuel pump on as it should be.

It's the way of the world Hainz. If you are in an accident involving an engine fire or a ruptured fuel line, you may not be able to turn the ignition off.... and the pump just keeps pumping till the tank is empty. 

_41041270_fire_ap203.jpg

On 7/18/2019 at 6:14 AM, banzai510(hainz) said:

oh I don't see gas being squirted in.Either the pump isn't pumping fuel to the carb or the needle valve in carb isn't letting gas in the bowl. or the accel pump diaprame is bad.  A diaphrame bad most lilkely will leak on the side of of the square looking fiting which pushes it in. It will have 4 screws.

I'll take a look into this as soon as I have some time with it. Thanks for the info.

also. you hit the carb so fast the main barrel should be on the valve cover side. that where the squirt will come from.. Unless this is a different carb carb where the main barrel is on the driver side. Usually for the French cars that I have seen. Not that it matters

I'll look into this and see if I can see which is opening first, this is the engine setup that I bought the truck with. I don't know much about it.

PS that fuel pumps sound like shit. They shouldn't be that loud I would think

I have no idea what it's supposed to sound like, the flow seems constant and dependable, but I don't have anything to compare it to. I did remove the cap from it and make sure that it all looked clean and intact at one point. It sounds like most people are unfamiliar with the stock electric fuel pump on this truck. Have you heard examples of this pump that sounded different? Or are you just guessing?

Thanks for the advice.

Anyone have a source for a replacement pump? I'd be happy to swap in a new one, but I don't want an aftermarket one.

What I think is the accel pump on the side is not connected to the linkage at all. I still couldn't get it to squirt anything pumping it by hand though.

The passenger side barrel does seem to be the primary.

Edited by Mysta2

the accel pump arm is stuck in the IN mode.

go to the side where the squared diaphrame is. now when you cycle the linkage the arm should move. if the arm don't move its stuck. See if you can get some needle nose pliers and  wd 40 or something to lube that arm.  I don't know if somebody else had this and put the diaphrame in backwards.if that's possible