The Good Trade Build Thread: '85 720 4x4

TomServo

What I have is an '01 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport with blown headgaskets, bad cv axles, worn out clutch and zero interest in fixing it up. In its present condition I figure it's worth at best 1000$.   

What I found is someone willing to trade it for their '85 720 King Cab with, wait for it, a blown head gasket and who knows what else wrong with it. Engine is in pieces but "comes with everything" including a remanufactured head. 

I like the idea of a truck project, I have the time and interest for one, but wondering if this is the right one and if it's worth lets say 1000$ in its present condition. Any thoughts?

Btw: clean title, no rust issues, seen the truck in person and looks pretty ok. I've owned quite a few Toyota 4x4s but this would be my first Nissan/Datsun.  

NISSAN

• Like 1
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't be driven so who knows what's right or wrong with it. Steering, brakes, suspension, drive train, engine, clutch, locking hubs, electrical...? If you do the wrench turning a blown head gasket is about $30 to fix... bet the owner didn't know to block the chain tensioner and it fell out and he gave up. You may luck out but doon't expect to be on the road soon. This is a long process of replacing what's bad, as you find out about it.

Take a chance, we're here to help.

• Like 2

Wow $1,000 for a Subaru with all those probs? I have an older Subaru 99 and I think the head gaskets repair was in the $2,500mark about 8 years ago. I was out of town the wife had taken it to visit family took it to a dealer to get fixed. Man I was mad, car was maybe worth $1,00 before the gaskets blew. Anyways the Nissan is much easier and cheaper to fix. If you don't want to play grease monkey move on but the nissan  can be fixed at home with not may special tools. As a side note we are still using that old Subaru as a daily. Maybe not so mad now because they are very good cars.

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice, I do have time for a project, I have summers off so lots of time in fact. And I like cheap stuff that I can fix myself. But this seems like a gamble with many unknowns. 

As far as Subaru is concerned, I priced it out and to fix myself is still pretty expensive. Also, they are difficult engines to access and require pulling to replace head gaskets. Moreover, we already replaced it with a working car so it's going away either in trade or for cash. Luckily, the Pacific Northwest is Subaru country where even run down blown up examples seem to have value. 

• Like 1

New oil ,, gasket set,, antifreeze ,, water pump and timing chain ( fix it once or use all unknown parts and fix it twice)  would easily be close to $200. clams... and IF all the parts are in fact all there..  And me personally would put back together with head studs,, which would be considerably higher cost 

If i had a Z24 laying around maybe ,

If you want a Toyota 4x4 , trading for a Toyota would probably be better in my opinion 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, TomServo said:

Thanks for the advice, I do have time for a project, I have summers off so lots of time in fact. And I like cheap stuff that I can fix myself. But this seems like a gamble with many unknowns.

Life is a gamble with many unknowns.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Charlie69 said:

Life is a gamble with many unknowns.

What's a few more, really. 

Yes, paint is factory black.

The problem with a Toyota 4x4 is that I can't afford a Toyota 4x4, especially not xtra cab. Prices seem crazy right now.

Miles are high: 310,000! Bottom end is definitely a concern. And this one is carburated not EFI. 

I'm getting the sense many of you would steer clear of this one. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

offer 500$ and your number and walk  away

It's a trade.....

I'd take the 720 over the Subaru.... only 1 head gasket to change.... Subaru head gaskets are pain in the ass too... plus your almost guaranteed to have to have the heads flattened.... 

Go for it and enjoy it..... 

• Like 3

Heads on a subie aren't that bad. Plus it gives you a chance to do the clutch at the same time, which was also on the list. 

Either way is fine.. Truck is cool. I personally wouldn't trade for it. But if you like the truck, do it.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Draker said:

Heads on a subie aren't that bad. Plus it gives you a chance to do the clutch at the same time, which was also on the list. 

Either way is fine.. Truck is cool. I personally wouldn't trade for it. But if you like the truck, do it.

I just noticed we both live in EUG. Want a subie for 1k, lol! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Draker said:

Ya if you pull the motor it would be easier.... I actually did it with the motor still in the car..... 

• Like 3

Yes that trade is well worth it.  I just did a head gasket on one of my 720s, and flattened the head with sandpaper on a mirror.  I've done both jobs in one day, but it will cost more to fix the subie.

• Like 2

Yes its a trade but I would stilll offer 500 and phone number from my spare Obama phone .

to many risks.

if guy cant fix a simple Z motor he isn't going to fix a Suby motor so I don't see why he would want the hassle

. yes its a good trade. Truck has a lot of uses once fixed.

truck is pretty straight.

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 2