henry

Carburetor overhall Hitachi 2 Barrel 328

1971 510 SW 1.6L

Hello,

I'm in the process of rebuilding my Hitachi carburetor model 328- manual choke. I've taken it apart & cleaned it. Ready to assemble.

There are few things that I'm confused about. In my unit there does not seem to be a power valve;  just the hole ( that leads into the fuel bowl ) where it would be located in.  Although the shop manual that I'm using shows that there is one.

And I'm also missing that one hollow screw that I believe is part of that system. I was under the impression that these carburetors all had power valves. Do i need to worry if there isn't one?

Thank you for any information that you can give me.

Henry

Is there a threaded hole for a power valve??? Because if there is, there needs to be one.

Hi

No, there is not. It's just a hole. There is an un threaded hole under the air horn that sits directly above the hole that I thought was for the power valve. 

The worksheet that came with the carburetor repair kit ( Hygrade 733 - from Rockauto ) shows that a " Bowl passage plug & washer " goes into the hole that I thought was for the power valve. This hole is right next to the hole for the pump discharge nozzle. ( as a point of reference ).

Thanks,

Henry

Is it possible  that carburetor just does not use a power valve?

Henry

I guess so. The power valve just makes the mixture at high speeds and loads, richer. My Hitachi 340 in my L20B had the hollow base screw swapped with the solid rear one because someone must have rebuilt it and put it together wrong. I found this by accident and fixed it. I noticed a slight but definite improvement when floored.

Got it!  So in my case not having that hollow base screw is of no significance?

Thanks.

Henry