Installing 521 door glass

sondat

Since both doors were gutted for body work and paint, today was the day to re-assemble. A lot of time passed since we dissembled and the reference pictures only helped so much. I am posting our assembly experience with many reference pictures for any one else tasked with this chore. First we started with the purchase of all new rubber and felt, I would have to look back almost 3 years to see where my son purchased the channel felt that runs the border of the window frame. As for the no draft window rubber and the felts/squeegees they were recently purchased on E-Bay from Australia. 

46961962845_e832cb3181.jpg

I looked briefly on Ratsun and found some help on the instal of the glass but was still struggling. Must have had the no draft glass and roll down glass in 5 or 6 times in different sequences, with and with out the perimeter felt in place but couldn't get both pieces of glass to fit. I'm sure there's other ways to achieve this but here's what ended up working for us.

I should mention that this sequence works with or with out the door handle/latch mechanism in place because the first door we did had the latch mechanism in where as the other door didn't.

-Started by installing the perimeter felt in the channel of the door (at back of door and top of window frame) also in channel of the no draft window frame.

32933994807_5090ba7b95.jpg

- Place the window crank mechanism in the door just laying at the bottom (facing the correct way). Then lower side glass into door using string at each end to cradle as well as          being able to pull glass up when required.

47878220361_2258a9e2d0.jpg

-This part is still a little tricky but you can see the no draft window going in at an angle. There is just enough room to have the channel felt in the no-draft window to engage the top front corner of the door glass. This is when you need to confirm that the back edge of the door glass is lined up with the groove of the felt at the back of the door. With this all lined up, as you lever the no draft window frame into place it forces (gently) the door glass into both front and back channel felt.

32933991657_bb7f217257.jpg

46961965765_211d2e91d2.jpg

46961966275_323b027c1b.jpg

46961965375_4746b5d703.jpg

-The pictures are hard to capture what's going on inside the door but hopefully my instructions are clear enough. Now the window can be pulled up using the strings then reach in through one of the access holes and grab the window crank mechanism, it needs to be fed between the tail end of the no-draft window channel and the threaded mount inside the door. The plastic wheel can now be slid into bottom of door glass channel. Once regulator spline is positioned through hole you can use handle to operate regulator to line up 4 mounting screw holes, then secure.

32933990747_5871b847e9.jpg

32933991217_62bbbe7852.jpg

-I've read that if there's too much padding when door cards are re-upholstered that the handles can rub and or not function properly. There is minimal foam under the vinyl but the handles still want to rub. I took a small rubber grommet just the right diameter and stuffed it into the female spline of the handles which still allows the spline to engage the handle but shims it out a little to avoid rubbing.

46961958545_980a1af4e2.jpg

47088735704_68fb8f7101.jpg

46961956835_197d5898b7.jpg

-The guts of one door now complete, we installed poly over access holes then new upholstered door card.

46961956105_eb4d24c283.jpg

Edited by sondat
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished mine with new vent window rubber. The vents were flopping in the wind. Got it back together and tightened up on the springs till I thought they were tight enough but the vent still wants to close at higher speeds. Should I tighten more or is it hopeless?  

• Like 1